What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotisserie for QB Fuselage

77bonanza

I am ready to begin assembly of the QB fuselage but am wanting to place on a rotisserie without the tail attached. Has anyone done this before and if so do you have pictures and build plans?

I have researched the forums for info and all I found were rotisseries that had the tail attached to the fuselage. I am concerned that without the tail section attached it may put too much strain on the firewall mounting area and distort the firewall.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

You may not need one .. It really wasn't a big deal just sitting on some standard EAA tables .. we did the entire build that way and when it came time to move it to the ground we just tilted the entire airplane forward and pulled the tables out, easy!

There are a few times that being on its side would have helped but if I did it again I still wouldn't go through the trouble of building a rotisserie but rather put that effort towards building.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
You may not need one .. It really wasn't a big deal just sitting on some standard EAA tables .. we did the entire build that way and when it came time to move it to the ground we just tilted the entire airplane forward and pulled the tables out, easy!

There are a few times that being on its side would have helped but if I did it again I still wouldn't go through the trouble of building a rotisserie but rather put that effort towards building.

Hope this helps!

I agree completely. No rotisserie for me. I have the main portion of the fuselage supported crosswise on a large (4'x8') table and the tailcone resting on two padded sawhorses. I've lost count of how many times I've climbed up and inside the fuselage (dozens, at least) with little or no difficulty.

I'm planning to set the fuselage down lower (perhaps I'll repurpose the fuselage kit crate) in order to install the canopy when my finish kit arrives in a few weeks, but that's only to gain sufficient clearance under my garage door tracks to open/close the canopy. After that, it'll be up on the gear for the duration.

I agree completely. No rotisserie for me. I have the main portion of the fuselage supported crosswise on a large (4'x8') table and the tailcone resting on two padded sawhorses. I've lost count of how many times I've climbed up and inside the fuselage (dozens, at least) with little or no difficulty.

I'm planning to set the fuselage down lower (perhaps I'll repurpose the fuselage kit crate) in order to install the canopy when my finish kit arrives in a few weeks, but that's only to gain sufficient clearance under my garage door tracks to open/close the canopy. After that, it'll be up on the gear for the duration.

I would suggest leaving it off the gear as long as possible. You'll find it much easier for wiring and other activities inside the fuse. Also, much easier to do your doors and f/g finishing work without a ladder.

I will go on the gear in another month, but will be one of the last things I do before the fuse is complete and ready for the engine to go on. The width of the gear would also very much cramp the working area around the fuse.

Larry

I would suggest leaving it off the gear as long as possible. You'll find it much easier for wiring and other activities inside the fuse. Also, much easier to do your doors and f/g finishing work without a ladder.

I will go on the gear in another month, but will be one of the last things I do before the fuse is complete and ready for the engine to go on. The width of the gear would also very much cramp the working area around the fuse.

I agree about leaving it low and off the gear until just before engine mounting. I'm moving ahead apace, however, and fully expect to be ready to hang my engine when it arrives in mid-May. So, the 'leave it low' period shouldn't last more than ~2 months.

Building the 14A

I built a rotisserie but ended up not using it. It fit and worked well I just could not seem to find it would really help as much as I thought. So I took it off and did not use it.

I assume you find the same. But you can save the time and money of building or buying one.
Larry

So unlike the others on here we have been using a rotisserie and love it. I would agree that there's no need for it until the tail is joined, that wasn't a big deal. After that though, it was a simple matter to put it on, and being able to work with the fuse on either side has been a huge help for easy access. Ken's recent challenge with the rudder cable sleeve clamps, while a pain, was much simpler when sitting in a chair working at arm level inside the fuse. Same goes for installing the canopy release mechanism under the panel...easy to access when it's on it's side, or even upside down (you can sit on the floor and be inside it). So I would be a Plus 1 for a rotisserie, but agree not to bother until the tail cone is attached.

I built a low cart for the forward fuselage but it was only used a short time for the side skinning (SB fuselage), tail cone joining and some other things. It was put onto a rotisserie and like Mark said, that makes a huge difference in accessibility and ease of work. I would suggest using a rotisserie after the tail is joined and baggage floors are installed for the added stiffness.

oWD.jpg

Preparing the front for the eventual rotisserie stand

oWN.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I also contacted Van's re their opinion of deforming or damage to the firewall by mounting to the four engine mount locations. They had no concerns about damage.

I have decided to build the rotisserie for ease of work, to include painting the interior. One of the primary considerations for this decision is my age, 74, which may have some impact on my ability to work inside the fuselage,

Thanks again, I appreciate your input!

Make sure you support the back no matter what, the fuselage gets very heavy once the tail cone is attacked and I would not try to support the whole weight by the firewall attachment. I tried several contraptions but in the end just used a padded saw horse and would roll the fuselage and reposition the saw horse as needed.

Just one more thought here------if you plan to paint yourself, a rotisserie will be much appreciated at that time.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I did build a rotisserie, and as suggested supported the tail with a sawhorse. Works great. I have had the fuselage on each side and completely upside down. I am just now preparing to paint the interior and, for my use, am glad to have it on the rotisserie.

Back