What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACS Starter switch wiring

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I went flying this morning, and at some point during the flight, the screw on the ring terminal for the starter backed out. I also noticed a low voltage warning and saw the alternator did not appear to be charging. Under the panel, I find 2 disconnected ring terminals. One goes to the starter, and the other to the alternator switch. The starter seems easy enough - reconnect per the ACS installation manual. The alternator write is puzzling me though. It is appropriate length and positron to be connected to the ignition switch, but I don't see it mentioned on the wiring diagram anywhere. I only found one screw on the floor, but it didn't make sense to me to have it connected to the starter. Any ideas?

Hi Barrett

As you mentioned the starter has a wire that runs from the starter solenoid to the (S) terminal on the ignition switch. The alternator field wire would run to the alternator switch. A lot of the time this is a master/alternator switch in one. Do you happen to have a split master switch? Typically red in color.

Bill

Last edited:
Separate master and alternator switches. I ended up connecting both wires to the starter position on the ignition switch, and everything seemed normal. Completed my flight today with no problems.

I guess my question now is "why does the alternator switch run through the starter?"

Both the starter solenoid and alternator field need power. It sounds like rather than go direct buss-switch-device someone ?borrowed? the power from one switch and jumpered it over to the other.

Back