What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Desser Elite Tire retread failure

Ricemv

I'm New Here
Two weeks ago I had a Desser Elite retread on my RV-8 start to come apart (tread separation) on landing. The tire has been on the plane about two years and still has about 75% tread remaining. This caused considerable damage to my wheel pant but fortunately did not completly come apart during the landing.
Desser has been notified of this problem and sent pictures showing the delamination but has failed to respond. Tire problems can be difficult to see with wheel pants but i would advise anyone flying with Desser retreads to inspect the tires for problems - takes less time than rebuilding and painting the wheelpants

Glad to hear you are ok. Sorry to hear about the wheel pant.

I had a problem with a brand new Desser Elite retread on my RV-8 as well.

After mounting a new set and before putting on the wheel pants a friend walked in and looked my tires over. He noticed a large bulge/bubble protruding from the side wall. I left it inflated overnight which resulted in a sidewall blowout.

Desser made me whole, sending a new tire and tube at no cost in short order. Good customer service.

i can't think of any amount of savings in the tire budget that would allow me to forfeit the peace of mind associated with having fresh goodyears under me on each landing and takeoff

i can't think of any amount of savings in the tire budget that would allow me to forfeit the peace of mind associated with having fresh goodyears under me on each landing and takeoff

How are they fresh every time? Aren't they used tires after the first takeoff?

No problems with my Desser Monster re-treads.

How are they fresh every time? Aren't they used tires after the first takeoff?

No problems with my Desser Monster re-treads.

Big difference between worn new tires and re-treads. Seeing all the thrown re-treads by trucks on the roads, I just buy new tires.

I can't imagine a cost savings so high that re-treads are worth it. <--- My personal opinion, yours may vary.

Elite retreads

On my second set of Elite retreads. No issues in 400 hours/500+ landings.

You might want to look more closely at those "road alligators" you claim are retreads. As an old trucker, I never lost a retread! Most of what you see are actually parts of non-retreads that have failed, not retreads. It has been years since I have seen a recap peeled off on the highway.

I've been told a huge percentage of tires on commercial airliners are retreads, many of the carcasses get retreaded more than once.

Desser retreads have been on my RV-6 for many years, never had any service issues. The retreads often have more tread depth than new tires.

Yep, the "road gators" are failed carcasses, run any tire flat long enough and it will eventually overheat and disintegrate.

Last edited:
5 TIMES

Desser retreads casings up to 5 times. On a recent visit to Desser in SoCal they showed me the stamps on the new treads that start with 1 and go to 5 their max amount of retreads per casing. They carefully inspect and look for cracks in the sidewall. A couple of my older tires got rejected because of sidewall cracks.

Steve

Good to hear about actual recent failures involving people who actually choose to use them. Helps keep the risk in perspective.

I'm on my second set of Desser Monsters. They wear very well and are very well balanced. Used Desser non Monster retreads successfully before. Never have had a failure in 10-12 years of retread use.

Back