VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 AM

Doug:

Any thought on TLS enabling VAF (encrypting the traffic)? Password logins on VAF are sent in the clear making it pretty easy to grab someone's password.

Services like CloudFlare make it pretty darn easy and are pretty cheap -- it's mostly a DNS configuration change and since it's a CDN it also relieves lots of stress from your servers and speeds up performance for users.

Just a thought.

[ed. I'll look into that, but in the mean time I turned on a feature that lets me approve new registrations manually (they don't get automatically approved for now). v/r,dr]

Last edited by admin : 07-15-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Default I just got one!

I just got a PM regarding a WTB post of mine. User name is 911997, member since, and this isn't a typo, December, 1969, zero posts. They want me to click on a link to see the item that they have.

Doug, this might be another account you'll want to delete.

[ed. Account deleted and creds added to the no join list. Great reminder to NOT CLICK ON A LINK THAT IS PM'D TO YOU!

Thanks! v/r,dr

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2017 donation: complete

Last edited by ArVeeNiner : 07-15-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
I responded to the Mycool RV3 ad in the form of a PM.

The subject whose email name indicates "Sorrell" sent an email with 4 photos of an RV3. The senders email address was luxurious0987@gmail.com.

Along with the photos the sender requested my delivery address and indicated the they would immediately deliver. No further dialog was exchanged.

Thanks for the alert.
I received the same email.
2 x offender
Old 07-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Here's a copy of the pm I received, and now I know how I was hacked. I clicked on the link without reading it carefully, inadvertently passing my password to the criminal... Doh!

I'm happy to know that my personal information beyond VAF password was not compromised, although I spent about two hours yesterday changing all my passwords before finding the culprit pm (below)
pm from "Tiller"

I am very interested in purchasing,but i really want to know if it looks like the one posted on here some while back
http ://vansairforce. nut cc/forums/login. htm

Thanks

[ed. Yes, that .cc extension goes to an island off Australia. Don't click on links that a person PM's you is a good plan of attack until I can kill their account. Mike S., thanks for disabling that link in this post here!!! v/r,dr]

Last edited by admin : 07-15-2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: disable link in quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Default "Tiller" got me the other day

I replied to a PM from Tiller and he Killed my account. I emailed Doug and new account was up in no time thanks Doug, but hope that I don't have issues dealing with folks now with a ZERO post status again. What folks try to do these days.

[ed. Sorry for the hiccup Blane. Great reminder to not click on links PM'd to you (or emailed for that matter). v/r,dr]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 07-15-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaneMiller View Post
I replied to a PM from Tiller and he Killed my account. I emailed Doug and new account was up in no time thanks Doug, but hope that I don't have issues dealing with folks now with a ZERO post status again. What folks try to do these days.

[ed. Sorry for the hiccup Blane. Great reminder to not click on links PM'd to you (or emailed for that matter). v/r,dr]
Ooohhh - but now Blane has a low post count, since his account just got reactivated - so we can't trust him either!
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
If a person wants to sell an airplane, they should have a folder of pictures online and/or pictures inserted in the thread. You shouldn't have to PM or email anyone for a picture - they should already be online somewhere (where you can do a Google search on the N-number)!
Keep in mind that a significant portion of VAF members do not know how to put photos online... Even if they have a phone that automatically loads them somewhere, they don't know how to embed those photos in a post here. A lot of photo hosting sites block embedding photos elsewhere and will only give you a link that you have to click on to get to the site.

A link isn't a guarantee of fraud. It's just one factor to be considered.

[rant]Of course, if VAF allowed uploading photos and documented it so less technical people could figure it out, you'd at least know the photos are safe... [/rant]
Old 07-21-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Keep in mind that a significant portion of VAF members do not know how to put photos online... Even if they have a phone that automatically loads them somewhere, they don't know how to embed those photos in a post here. A lot of photo hosting sites block embedding photos elsewhere and will only give you a link that you have to click on to get to the site.

A link isn't a guarantee of fraud. It's just one factor to be considered.

[rant]Of course, if VAF allowed uploading photos and documented it so less technical people could figure it out, you'd at least know the photos are safe... [/rant]
Oh come on, DR wrote a very nice sticky "how to", and it isn't difficult at all. It would take me longer to type a detailed description, than it takes to post a picture.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
Oh come on, DR wrote a very nice sticky "how to", and it isn't difficult at all. It would take me longer to type a detailed description, than it takes to post a picture.
I agree. Yet I've had VAF members PM me personally to ask me to help them. Not everyone who uses a computer knows what they are doing.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 AM

I just got an email after I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds. It read "I have the item for sale, to see photos click the link below."

It was a link to the Van's forum login page but with a .cc in the URL and you need to log in but it's not the Van's forum. I didn't login of course because I've seen this type of hack a hundred times before. This is how they get your username and password.

The page will look exactly the same but LOOK at the URL and it's different. Do not click on any link you dont recognize. This is the easiest way for them to get your user credentials.

Know before you click.

Shawn
Closed Thread