VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Default need apple I pad to run garmin piolt

Tried galaxie android to run garmin pilot but missing info and slow. What I pad should I by to use in my rv 8 with limited space. thanks rt

Last edited by skidookid : 03-19-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: speeling wrong
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Any iPad Mini with cellular data will work, but can also go with a cheaper no-data model, and wifi tether to any hot spot enabled cell phone. The more memory the better...I have 16 gig memory in my iPad mini, and had to delete all unnecessary apps. Wish I'd gone with 64 gig.
RV-7, IO-540 , Hartzell 80" blended CS. Flying since 2011. Classic Aero 3 tone leather int. Dynon Skyview, 261, 429, 470, dual ADHRS, Garmin GNS480W, SL40, GMA240, Anti-Splat-Aero air/oil sep, EZ-cowl flaps, Koger wide sunshade.

=VAF= donor 2017
Old 03-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Default Garmin pilot

I run Garmin pilot on an IPAD mini with cell service for the gps function.
Also have an IPhone 7 running as a backup. Both blue tooth to a gdl39 for weather and traffic. Love it! Agree, get the higher storage models of both.
on the fuse.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Question i pad question

Does I pad have built in gps or do need to buy a separate device to for gps feed?. Do I need phone part of I pad to work? .I only use I pad in plane. rt
Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidookid View Post
Does I pad have built in gps or do need to buy a separate device to for gps feed?. Do I need phone part of I pad to work? .I only use I pad in plane. rt
ONLY iPad that has Cellular chip has a built in GPS. You do NOT need to have cell service activated for the GPS to work. List price is an extra $130 for the Cellular + WiFi iPad. There are very few GPS devices available that are less than $130 plus then you have an extra device to break, need charging, or to forget.

IMHO, you will want the latest iPad as I find my older units too slow for me. I expect that a new iPad mini Pro may be announced at the next Apple Event sometime in the next several weeks. A new or update will lower the price of existing iPads.
3,200+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM

I have this exact setup. iPad3 64gb 4g not activated.
Also use Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. both work fine and are fast. No problems with SG7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
ONLY iPad that has Cellular chip has a built in GPS. You do NOT need to have cell service activated for the GPS to work. List price is an extra $130 for the Cellular + WiFi iPad. There are very few GPS devices available that are less than $130 plus then you have an extra device to break, need charging, or to forget.

IMHO, you will want the latest iPad as I find my older units too slow for me. I expect that a new iPad mini Pro may be announced at the next Apple Event sometime in the next several weeks. A new or update will lower the price of existing iPads.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Default garmin pilot on adroid.

I am running the asus zenpad 10.1 with verizon card. I love it. runs garmin pilot just fine while streaming music. no speed issues at all.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM

[quote=RV6_flyer;1159167]ONLY iPad that has Cellular chip has a built in GPS. You do NOT need to have cell service activated for the GPS to work. List price is an extra $130 for the Cellular + WiFi iPad. There are very few GPS devices available that are less than $130 plus then you have an extra device to break, need charging, or to forget.

IF, you are using it to view ADS-B traffic and weather, many of the ADS-B receivers have GPS built in. I use a Garmin GDL-39 and it has the GPS built in.

So, if you plan on using only this app in your aircraft, you CAN get away with a iPad with only 16G and NO GPS (so long as you ADS-B in has it) That being said, you will probably find that you want to use the iPad for a number of other apps and will be happier with 32G of memory.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM

First, I Am a confirmed Android guy, but after extensive research, I discovered that the only viable option for Garmin Pilot is the iPad.

I got the iPad Air 2 (64 GB) with cell cabability (the only way to also get GPS), but I have NO PHONE/DATA PLAN. WiFi works great while on the ground (flight planning) and I use Flightstream from the Console Garmin while in flight (so I get AHRS and ADS-b)

Been using it for just over 6 months, and LOVE IT!

Right after I went to all the trouble to create a customized Excel spreadsheet for weight & balance, Garmin added that function to Pilot; really comes in handy.

Anyway, I find the Air 2 is the perfect size and works really well.

The only other advice I can give is spring for the extra memory: definitely get the 64 GB version of whatever iPad model you get.
RV-10 #1711
VS, Rudder & HS Complete 1/29/17; Now, bring on those Elevators...
(VAF Dues Paid thru June, 2020)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM

I use Garmin Pilot on a Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and it works perfectly and it sync's with the GDL to get traffic, weather and terrain at a high speed. No problems thus far.