What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 landing light bulb type?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
What is the RV6 landing light bulb type? Has anyone just installed a LED bulb replacement?

What is the RV6 landing light bulb type? Has anyone just installed a LED bulb replacement?

It could be just about anything, based on what I have seen in the RV-6 world. Just depends on what the builder decided to use.

We did a complete lighting system replacement on Mikey a few years ago using all Whelen LED's. Worked out great!

Paul

Wing tip, or leading edge?

BAC used to make a leading edge add on kit, used an autumotive driving light IIRC.

it's a leading edge light on both wings. it doesn't have a giant old school glass bulb. It looks like an H3 but I figured I would ask before I start ripping it out to replace with an LED bulb replacement.

Wanted to see if a single H3 bulb replacement works better or if I should pull the trigger on a whole LED replacement (whelen etc.) setup.

Thanks,
D

The most common ones are probably an H3 style bulb in either a rectangular reflector, or round reflector.

The LED H3 replacements are usually not a very good solution. They either are very dim, or dont even fit into the reflector. There are some newer high power H3 LED available, but I have not played with those yet.

I just did a complete change out of my wing leading edge taxi and landing lights. Went with the Baja Designs Squadron Pro lights ( 1 spot and 1 combo spot/driving)and a Perehelion wig-wag. Incredible upgrade :) If you are on the Vans Facebook Builders page, I posted a bunch of pics and videos.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Back