What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairings

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Having a bad day, can't for the life of me work out what the manual says about the twist in gear leg fairings. Hold it vertical on the leading edge, use a try square to get one end true then check the other end for true. I get that. Then it goes on to talk about taping and cutting the tape or marking them. How much twist is acceptable? I laid them flat on a even, level surface and there is about 1/4" twist. Do I hold it flat and draw a line on the overlap? I understand the importance of them being right as far as aerodynamics are concerned. Is there some wriggle room when they are on the gear? Any help or a reference to a web site would be great. Many thanks in advance.

Lay the fairings on a flat surface, then put some tape on the edges to hold them in place. Cut them to length per the plans. Get the hinges installed and drilled. Once the hinges are in place, there shouldn't be any twist. The fairings go on next once you have established the correct placement of the fairings on the gear legs.

I've got lots of photos with captions of the whole process here.

Back