What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting a -9 into a -7

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: Is it possible to convert a -9 into a -7 with a wing change. I have been told that the -9 and the -7 fuselage are the same and the -7 now uses the -9 tail. I call Vans today to ask the question, the gal from Product Line Questions said she had never been asked the question, and I suspect tech guys are still recovering from the Oshkosh long nights. Dan :confused:

Nope!

Guys: Is it possible to convert a -9 into a -7 with a wing change. I have been told that the -9 and the -7 fuselage are the same and the -7 now uses the -9 tail. I call Vans today to ask the question, the gal from Product Line Questions said she had never been asked the question, and I suspect tech guys are still recovering from the Oshkosh long nights. Dan :confused:

Can't do that. Lots of reasons. Only the vertical tail is common on the two. the horizontal tail is completely different.

It is true that a lot of the parts that make the fuselage are common between the two, but there are also parts that are very different. Primarily this is in the Wing attach area (because the wings are very different between the two)

Take a look at your plans. Any part number that starts with a "9" is unique to the -9.

IIRC, the side skins, seat pan ribs, center section, etc. are all unique and would have to be replaced.

It would be better to sell your -9 kit and buy a -7 kit.

Back