What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex question

Sam_B

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I?m at the point where the big cut is over and everything has been trimmed enough to glue the canopy on. I?m sure there?s a thread somewhere explaining all of the steps, and it looks like Mickey Coggins had one that?s no longer available online (probably the one I remember reading several years ago), but typing in Sikaflex, canopy, and the like leaves me with so many results in the search that it?s confounding. Can someone help me out and point me to a good procedure?

Also, It appears that the 205, 209D, and the 295UV are the products to buy, how much of it will I need?

Best regards,
Sam

Here is my build log thread on the forums. Start at post 379. I hope this helps a bit. If you have any questions at all just shoot me a PM. Hopefully, wirejock will be along shortly to post his write up, it was pretty detailed.

You only need one can of 205 and 209D. I'm not super familiar with the 8 canopy but I would get at least 2 tubes of the 295UV.

I just finished this stage and tho I'm not an RV, the Mustang2 is basically an RV6 in size and we do basically the same operations in this area.

FWIW, I used 2 tubes on the canopy AND 2 for the windshield/rollbar...I'll note tho that I squeezed in sika from both sides of my round tubing, not just one - I doubt thats necessary, but I could so I did. Yeah I wiped off some making it smooth, so there is some learning in that.

I do have about half a tube left over from the total, and I didnt buy all the tubes at once - Jamestown ships pretty quick if you find yourself needing more and previously laid down sika and new sika seem to bond together as well as anything.....

Sikaflex

Here is my build log thread on the forums. Start at post 379. I hope this helps a bit. If you have any questions at all just shoot me a PM. Hopefully, wirejock will be along shortly to post his write up, it was pretty detailed.

You only need one can of 205 and 209D. I'm not super familiar with the 8 canopy but I would get at least 2 tubes of the 295UV.

Thanks Jereme
Check my blog. I wrote a detailed document from first cut to Sikaflex. There's also lots of notes both on the front page and the Finishing page. Here's the article.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rsGhQGVXayaxGBZJqvebPxxRV9RZQhdj

Last edited:
Using this thread as a study guide today; reviewed a lot of the info in the past, but it's time for the test. Michigan is getting hot this weekend; taking advantage of it and jumping into the canopy work. Thanks to all who contributed their experiences and advice.

Back