What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X > GPS 20A > GTX 23 ES

phapp

Patron
Anyone have a functional G3X > GPS 20A > GTX 23 ES system in place?

I'm working on the initial testing / configuration of my G3X system. So far so good except I get a Transponder Fail. I do hear the click of the relay when I power it up.

The Garmin wiring diagram I'm working from matches the drawing SteinAir did for me.

I have checked every wire/pin/connector, end-to-end, called out on 190-01115-01 Figure 27-2.9 Page 27-24.

I have confirmed 12V and a good solid ground.

I have configured every field in the G3X configuration screen as suggested by Garmin.

I identified pin 1 on the backshell connector and confirmed that I did not wire the GTX23 connector oriented 180 out.

I do have a good CAN bus indication (blinking green) on the GEA 24 and GPS 20A. The configuration page show all devices and look good (except for the GTX 23) and I get a good satellite array on the PFD. I have a good install of the latest G3X software (V11)

I do not have the pitot/static hooked up to the GSU 25.

Any thoughts?

Anyone have a functional G3X > GPS 20A > GTX 23 ES system in place?

I'm working on the initial testing / configuration of my G3X system. So far so good except I get a Transponder Fail. I do hear the click of the relay when I power it up.

The Garmin wiring diagram I'm working from matches the drawing SteinAir did for me.

I have checked every wire/pin/connector, end-to-end, called out on 190-01115-01 Figure 27-2.9 Page 27-24.

I have confirmed 12V and a good solid ground.

I have configured every field in the G3X configuration screen as suggested by Garmin.

I identified pin 1 on the backshell connector and confirmed that I did not wire the GTX23 connector oriented 180 out.

I do have a good CAN bus indication (blinking green) on the GEA 24 and GPS 20A. The configuration page show all devices and look good (except for the GTX 23) and I get a good satellite array on the PFD. I have a good install of the latest G3X software (V11)

I do not have the pitot/static hooked up to the GSU 25.

Any thoughts?
Hello phapp,

Since your GTX 23ES configuration page on the PFD is showing that your GTX 23ES is not communicating with the PFD, I would focus my efforts on the GTX 23ES to GSU 25 RS-232 interface since this is how the system communicates with the GTX 23ES.

A GPS 20A installation issue cannot cause the failure you are seeing.

Thanks,
Steve

i have the g3x, gtx 23 es but not a gps 20a. from what garmin is saying, it looks like your issues might between the g3x and the gtx. id be happy to help out if i can. been flying on mine for close to two years now.

I have this setup (although it's the Touch version) - works great. I used the Garmin wiring diagrams.

Last edited:
I?m about to do the same as a retrofit in my -12. I?ve got the Stein drawings- where did you find the Garmin drawings??

Garmin G3X installation manual downloadable from the Garmin G3X website. It describes every pinout and connection you will need.

GTX 23 ES SUCCESS!!!!!!

First, a huge thank you and kudos to G3Expert Steve for working off hours. And thanks to SteinAir and the other G3Experts for their help.

If it helps anyone else who has bought G3X avionics too early / built too slowly....

I had to downgrade the PFD and MFD from V11 down to V8. All looked fine and I could talk to the XPDR.

I then upgraded back to V11 which also went fine.

So all is well and working as it should!

And the really happy news is that the slow, methodical, octuple checking of every wire and pin during the harness build meant I had no wiring mistakes (yet, fingers crossed).

GTX 23 ES SUCCESS!!!!!!

First, a huge thank you and kudos to G3Expert Steve for working off hours. And thanks to SteinAir and the other G3Experts for their help.

If it helps anyone else who has bought G3X avionics too early / built too slowly....

I had to downgrade the PFD and MFD from V11 down to V8. All looked fine and I could talk to the XPDR.

I then upgraded back to V11 which also went fine.

So all is well and working as it should!

And the really happy news is that the slow, methodical, octuple checking of every wire and pin during the harness build meant I had no wiring mistakes (yet, fingers crossed).

Back