What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Bottom Fairing Strobe Light

Tsabean

Anyone have a photo of how a Whelan strobe light is fitted to the R-411 fairing on the bottom of the rudder?
I've searched the archives but can't find one.
Thanks, Tom

You might want to have a look at the AeroLed tail light, much more compact than the whelen unit and fits in the fairing with no mods.

Forget both of them and get the one from Paul at flyleds. To mount any of them I made an aluminum tin that I bonded into the fairing.

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82rb

I retrofitted from a standard lamp housing assembly to the AeroLeds Tail strobe and it fit easily. I made a spacer out of aluminum to fill in the depression from the old lamp mount. I was then able to use the existing mounting holes. It fit inside the existing mount with no other mods. I did have to run a new cable all the way to the panel though. The LED required more wires. I love the added strobe on the tail.

For the minimalists, there is another way that makes the adapter rings posed previously just extra undesireable weight.

Years ago, the method was to obtain some 'Marine-Tex' filled epoxy, glob it in behind the 2 holes in the fiberglass and then drill it and tap it to fit the light.

I modified this by using Marine-Tex to glue in a couple of brass threaded inserts I got from the local RC hobby shop.

A bit of TLC to the fiberglass to get it dead flat for a good interface to the light body and you are done.

Link to the tail light page

Last edited:
Back