What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynafoci

Hello -
I am contemplating buying a 6a project. It needs a different engine. I am told it it has an o-320 with dynafocal-1 mount. There is an 0-320 available requiring dynafocal-2 attachment. Does this sound correct? Can an 1 series be modified to a 2? If not - Are there 2 series mounts available for RV6 - either tail or nose dragger?
Thanks for advice!!

Here is a pretty good thread on the subject.

The mounts are slightly different and are not interchangeable.

However, an engine can be converted from one type to another but the engine needs to be disassembled to do that and the case halves have to be sent to a shop that specializes in the conversion. A friend had his engine converted from a conical mount to Dynafocal 1 mount a few years ago and I think it was just a couple of hundred dollars to have it done with a case inspection.

Van's will be happy to sell you whatever engine mount you need. You can always sell the mount that came with your project. However, if the cowling has already been fitted to an engine, you will have to have a custom mount made as the early mounts are not exactly alike and your spinner will not line up with the cowl opening. If the cowling is yet to be fitted, then not a big deal at all. Order the appropriate mount and you are good to move forward.

(Get comfortable using the Advance Search function, and all your questions will be answered.)

Last edited:
Back