What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Panel Progression - The Saga

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Just thought I'd share how interesting the changes have been over the years...

Inception

Before 1st Flight

Added Dynon Knob and Autopilot Panels

Added 2nd Skyview Screen

Added Garmin GTN-650 for Instrument training

Garmin G3X Touch!!

Garmin G5?the last upgrade?I SWEAR!!...maybe...

shoehorn

I'd like to see the shoehorn you used to get all that in an -8 panel! :)

Really nice!

Perfect timing, as I'm working on my avionics now. Was planning to install my GPS antenna on the glareshield per Aerotronics suggestion; was wondering about the fit, so your photos are helpful. Any further info would be helpful, I'm sure.

I’d like to here your impressions about the Garmin vs Dynon, and why you chose Garmin.

A lot went into the decision. At the time of my build, finances were tight, but I definitely wanted a glass panel. Garmin had just come out with the G3X (non-touch) portrait style displays. I wanted landscape displays, and the price point for Garmin was just slightly out of my reach. I was happy about Dynon's early ADS-B solutions, their autopilot, and AOA. I flew with (and added to) the Dynon system for 5+ years and nearly 450 hours. It's a great system.

The decision to switch to all Garmin ultimately came from the installation of the GTN-650 and my desire to start flying IFR on a regular basis. I trained for and took my instrument check ride in my RV using the GTN-650 and Dynon Skyview combination. The integration between the two was really good, but not great...not perfect. Simple things like how the flight plan and approaches were graphically displayed on the Skyview and the Dynon autopilot performance during approaches, was not up to my liking. Again, it was good, but not great.

I went to Oshkosh last fall and played with the G3X displays for hours, spoke with the great guys at SteinAir, and decided to make the switch. The integration between the G3X and GTN-650 is seamless. Also, adding the GTX-45R transponder gave me full functionality out of the GTN (secondary traffic display, ADS-B In, etc). The Garmin autopilot works great right out of the box with default settings. The GTN flight plans, approaches, holds, leg sequencing, etc all display perfectly on the G3X.

After I came to terms with the financial investment, I'm very happy with my decision to switch to Garmin. I would not hesitate to recommend the Dynon system though...it's a really good system. Both systems are top notch, but for me, it came down to how the system integrates with my IFR navigator. My complete Skyview system will be put up for sale here on VAF as soon as I can organize things and figure out a fair price.

Last edited:
The fit wasn't that bad.

I'd like to see the shoehorn you used to get all that in an -8 panel! :)

Really nice!

Thanks Mickey, I'm really happy with it.

For anyone thinking about doing something similar:

SteinAir did a wonderful job of cutting the main panel for me. The F-803B sub-panel DID require quite a bit of trimming along the top of the G5 and the top left corner of the GTN. The aft corner (actually forward left) of the GTN tray does come very close to the top skin. I have about an 1/8" gap between the tray and the skin, but a 1/4" angle bracket support between the GTN tray and the F-866B-1 forward baggage bulkhead results in zero movement of the tray.

Jeff, because of your G5 placement, do you find yourself using it more for flight info (a/s,heading,attitude) than the G3?

Jeff, because of your G5 placement, do you find yourself using it more for flight info (a/s,heading,attitude) than the G3?

I?ve only had a few flights with the G5 installed, but so far, no. Definitely learning to include it in my scan and cross check with the PFD, though.

G5

I?ve only had a few flights with the G5 installed, but so far, no. Definitely learning to include it in my scan and cross check with the PFD, though.

Jeff, nice setup first of all. I?m just trying to figure out what you have the G5 for. Are you using it solely for a backup attitude indicator or are you using it for tracking vor / ILS approaches? Seems that you could have done without it is all. Please advise. Thanks!

I'm a late comer to your post. 1st I'd like to thank you for posting your panel. I'm new to RV's and have developed a rabid obsession with building an RV-8 and possibly a RV-10 later if everything goes well.
There aren't many post of RV-8 IFR panels so seeing yours is like Xmas for me. Having had comm problems in my 38yrs of flying I'm terrified of not having dual comm. Is the GTN-650 your only comm source? I carry a portable as backup now so I might consider a single comm source for weight savings or remote one.

Back