What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conical bolts to short

RyanB

Hi Everyone

I ordered my conical engine mounts and bolt set from Vans for my O360 on my RV4. After mounting the engine today we noted with horror that the bolts are about 1/4 inch to short, yet the bolts are exactly what the plans and mount instructions call for.

Has anyone had this problem before? The one option we were looking at is to slightly shorten the engine mount bushes that the bolts go through?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate

Thank you

Yep.

Engine mount tubes probably too long. Common to have to cut them. You can cut them to fit the bolts as long as the bolt heads or nuts clear the engine mount tubes and you don't cut into the welds.

Covered in the RVator.

Oh, wait, that's for the tubes for the firewall bolts.

Dwg #33 specifies the length of the engine tubes as ... actually that dimension is omitted. Don't see why you can't cut the end of the 5/8" tubes (opposite the welded-on washer) as long as you don't cut into the weld and bolt head (or nut) will clear the adjoining mount tubes.

Finn

Bolt

Thank you so much, I tend to agree that we can cut it as it should have no impact structurally. I did email Vans and they said they concur that we can cut the engine mount bush.

Back