VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Prime on the go?

I will be priming the inside of my '12 as I build.

Is there any benefit to priming the outside at the same time? Easier than priming the completed airframe? Or will there likely be too much touch up to do after completion?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktaupo View Post
I will be priming the inside of my '12 as I build.

Is there any benefit to priming the outside at the same time? Easier than priming the completed airframe? Or will there likely be too much touch up to do after completion?
Not if you plan to have a paint shop paint it. They will strip it. If you plan to paint, choose a primer compatible with your finish paint but you'll have to scuff it.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:03 PM

1. Most primers have an envelope of around 10 to 48 hours between their application and spraying the top coat. Exceeding that requires scuffing. I would assume applying the top coat after several years is not practically possible. You will need to remove of heavily scuff and apply a new layer of primer/sealer.
2. Again, most primers are not UV resistant, hence they may age when exposed to sun light.
3. Certain brand top coats require specific primers or in other words the top coat manufacturer highly recommend what to use.

Applying primer to the exterior as preparation to painting years ahead of time is practically does not work imho.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 AM

Agreed. We prime the insides only. On our 7 we waited until finished and then painted, the two 12's are still bare on the outside.

As mentioned, your painter may use chemistry different to you and will just charge you to take your primer off.

They don't need any external protection during build or phase one testing.

Donated in 2019