What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum Wind Limitation

ianneub

I'm New Here
Hi All,

I recently purchased an RV-12 and have been having a great time getting to know the plane and flying as much as possible.

I've looked around in this forum, but I haven't seen anyone discuss this figure I saw in the POH:

Maximum Wind Limitation 30kt

Does this limitation apply in all situations? Or only for take off / landing?

I've flown in some winds now that showed 20kt+ according to the D180 calculation.

With the lightness of this airplane, I'm worried that a wind gust might hit and flip the plane over. On the ground 30kt is well past my personal limitation. So I shouldn't be in that situation. But what about in the air, at altitude?

Do other RV-12 pilots worry about that?

Thanks in advance for your input!

To answer your question… once an airplane is flying It doesn’t care about wind direction or speed - turbulence becomes the deciding factor. The airplane simply flies within the moving air mass. Groundspeed is directly affected by both wind direction and speed. Wind becomes a factor, as you point out, during ground operations and when the plane transitions to/from the hard surface.

The strength and direction of winds aloft are also important when flying in mountainous areas. Maintaining an appropriate altitude above ridge lines during high wind conditions is prudent. The low wing loading of the typical LSA usually means that you will be more susceptible to the effects of turbulence and varying air currents than heavier, high wing loading aircraft. The modest performance that is typical of most LSAs at higher altitudes requires a very good understanding of mountain flying techniques.

I once climbed up very high crossing water to be within gliding distance of shore. There was a 50 knot cross wind according to the D-180. My RV-12 flew just fine. It thought the air was calm. But it took forever to cross the water.

To answer your question? once an airplane is flying It doesn?t care about wind direction or speed - turbulence becomes the deciding factor. The airplane simply flies within the moving air mass. Groundspeed is directly affected by both wind direction and speed. Wind becomes a factor, as you point out, during ground operations and when the plane transitions to/from the hard surface.

Couldn't agree more. I wonder why Vans put the 30 knot limitation in the POH?

interesting

Call van's and ask them...as has been previously posted, once airborne, the airplane moves within the airmass and the wind makes no difference...

Call van's and ask them...as has been previously posted, once airborne, the airplane moves within the airmass and the wind makes no difference...
I can't imagine that any wind limitation doesn't just refer to surface winds only. It's not unusual at all to see 40 to 50+ knot winds aloft around here, even at relatively low altitudes. I have a screenshot from a friend who borrowed the plane showing 201 MPH ground speed on the way to FL - that's a 63 knot tailwind.

It is really embarrassing to have to call the tower, shut down, get out, and push your airplane around because you didn?t have the power to turn it out of the wind. It is equally embarrassing to have to call the tower, shut down, and beg for help to get a few guys to ?walk? your airplane off the taxiway.
30kts is a lot of wind on the ground to try to safely taxi any RV.

When I as a newly minted private pilot I landed my Cherokee in a 40 Kt wind with about a 15 kt crosswind component. As I taxied in a Cub landed and I was perplexed when three guys ran out and grabbed the wing struts and tail. Years later when I got my tailwheel sign off I finally understood!😁

Back