VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Default Where's my Kleenex?

This thread physically hurts to look at.

If I had made my prediction of "a month to installation," my panel would have been in the hangar, which did not burn, instead of the basement, which did. Nothing left of this project but ashes, and my Erie homeowners insurance policy has a specific clause which excludes "airplanes, and airplane parts" from any coverage.

Based on this, they are presently denying coverage even for my wiring tools from SteinAir (you read that right - wire cutters from an avionics supplier? Not covered! From a big box store? Sure, how many pairs did you own? Snap-On, right? Seat heater elements from JC Whitney? We can't cover those since they were going to be "airplane seat heaters." EIS that I might put on an airboat or Jay Leno in his EcoJet car? Forgetaboutit!) It's nuts. According to an estimate from Stein, I'm out about 27k (parts & labor) on this because they have this crazy exclusion. Thankfully there was no limit on guns and jewelry, and since we went through an inventory specialty subcontractor, they are giving us new (not deprectiated) replacement price on what they do cover. Some things do net-out in the end, I suppose. Still, it rankles...

-Stormy
Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM

Default EIS Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
What did you have to do to covert the EIS ?
I am assuming you are referring to the connection I made from the EIS to the EFIS. The EIS wire harness has a serial out wire (grn/blk) which is connected to pin 31 on the Sport, (RX2 EIS Serial Input).

There is no conversion the EFIS accepts the data from the EIS as is.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Where's my Kleenex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
This thread physically hurts to look at.

If I had made my prediction of "a month to installation," my panel would have been in the hangar, which did not burn, instead of the basement, which did. Nothing left of this project but ashes, and my Erie homeowners insurance policy has a specific clause which excludes "airplanes, and airplane parts" from any coverage.

Based on this, they are presently denying coverage even for my wiring tools from SteinAir (you read that right - wire cutters from an avionics supplier? Not covered! From a big box store? Sure, how many pairs did you own? Snap-On, right? Seat heater elements from JC Whitney? We can't cover those since they were going to be "airplane seat heaters." EIS that I might put on an airboat or Jay Leno in his EcoJet car? Forgetaboutit!) It's nuts. According to an estimate from Stein, I'm out about 27k (parts & labor) on this because they have this crazy exclusion. Thankfully there was no limit on guns and jewelry, and since we went through an inventory specialty subcontractor, they are giving us new (not deprectiated) replacement price on what they do cover. Some things do net-out in the end, I suppose. Still, it rankles...

-Stormy
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your panel, tools, etc.. I hope no one was injured.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM

Default New panel for an old RV-6A

Here's the plan...

Check sent for the equipment. Installation planned for November.

Brian Robinson
Centennial, CO
RV-6A, Lycoming O-360
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM

What are you planning for your switching means between the two GARMIN radios?

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Single radio. Hand held backup.
(KAPA)Centennial, CO
Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Just finished getting this installed. What a sweet way to fly!

RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Default Looks like another beautiful job, by Jesse

I am envious --- I will take a picture of your panel, enlarge it, and tape it over my panel when I have visitors to look at my plane.

Take care,

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385
Very Happy Contributor
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 12-08-2015, 08:05 AM

Yours can look like that too, Ron.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:42 PM

Just finishing up my panel upgrade (as well as a thousand other things on the RV-6) from the past year. The new panel, anchored by 2 Advanced Flight Systems 5600's integrated with Dynon XPDR, Comm, ADS-B, ARINC; TruTrak Vizion A/P; Garmin GTN650; PS Engineering Audio Panel. The main harness was fabricated by Pacific Coast Avionics. These systems are simply amazing in their capability and features. Rob, Jenny, Jeffrey, Ken, and all of the folks at Advanced flight Systems have been wonderful to work with. (Including my lovely wife Tricia... Yes, I am a lucky guy) They've all been really great! A big thanks to all of the folks involved in this effort!

While digging into the manuals last night as I sat in the airplane, the Northwest was again getting hammered by another pacific cold front. As I was sitting there, I could watch the ADS-B Nexrad data update, check airport info around the area (KUAO 17023G35KT 4SM RA), and see occasional bizjet and airline traffic targets going over probably wishing they were on the ground. All from the comfort of the stationary cockpit. Meanwhile, I could see what the weather was doing in Miami which looked way more pleasing than the NW deluge that we were about to suffer...

Not a great pic due to lighting, but I'm playing with Night Mode consisting of a dimmable LED light strip mounted under the panel flange. It produces a nice indirect area lighting effect:

As I finish up the myriad of software settings, component checks, user training and return to flight test cards, this system should be light years ahead of what was in my panel for the first 10 years of it's service. I'm sure it will take a few hours to master but the additional capability is very impressive!
Advanced Flight Systems

Van's Aircraft Inc. Technical Support-Retired
EAA Tech Counselor & Flight Advisor

www.westcoastravens.com

Last edited by JoeBlank : 12-09-2015 at 09:17 PM.