VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 PM

I have the membership and usually go at least every couple of months, although I haven't been there in the past 3 months. It is rough. Probably the roughest paved runway I've landed on. If you have a tail-wheel, and land it soft-field, it should be fine. With a nose-wheel airplane, you would have to be much more careful. An EZ from our field broke his nose gear there last year. I heard that there's plans to repave it - when, I don't know.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 AM

When I was there the field had a lot of potholes and loose gravel and asphalt nuggets scattered around. Not a deal breaker but certainly worthy of caution. I spoke with the guy in the office who said that the money is sitting in escrow to repave it but only with it’s current grade but there is a battle going on between those who want it just repaved, those who want it totally regraded to modern specs, and those who want it shutdown and removed. One thing for sure, the lawyers will win
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 AM

I went there and landed 2016. Was a little rough as you can tell in my video but I will certainly go back someday. Lunch in the diner was great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKBOR7cXVtk
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Thumbs up

I go to Catalina all the time. Runway condition is good enough, and there's certainly nothing an RV owner needs to worry about there. Myron is right about the small rocks, keep your head on a swivel. I like to call the mountain bike shop down in Avalon and arrange to have a couple of bikes delivered to the airport. He drops them off before we get there, and I find them parked next to the restaurant. After a quick lunch, we bike the island for the day and end up in Avalon where we deliver the bikes to the shop, go to a hotel, and then catch a van ride back up to the airport in the morning.
RV-8, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2018

Last edited by Gash : 09-27-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:02 PM

My brother's engineering firm is part of the planning to repave that runway.

It's in the works, but i don't have any dates certain at this time.

I will agree it is over due.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 PM

Default Catalina

I used to have an annual pass when we lived in Long Beach. I remember weaving around potholes in the 'ol Cherokee there. The runway used to get paved from time to time but wouldn't last long after each paving. This was probably because of the daily DC3 ops there to supply the island with groceries. The DC3's have since been retired, so hopefully the runway should last a bit longer after the next repair.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Default Catalina Island Runway Repairs

The U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Navy to the rescue!

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/3...irport-runway/

"In January about 100 Marines, part of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, are expected to come ashore and establish a base on the top of a mountain in the island’s interior. There they will set up a camp, including places to sleep and eat, and from there will work to repair the runway at Catalina’s Airport in the Sky. The $5 million project is expected to take three months and will be used as a training exercise for the Marines.

The project is a collaboration between the Catalina Island Conservancy and U.S. military. It will restore the 77-year-old runway that has become cracked and decayed. Presently, there are about 7,000 flights onto Catalina Island each year."
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-30-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post

"In January about 100 Marines, part of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, are expected to come ashore and establish a base on the top of a mountain in the island’s interior. There they will set up a camp, including places to sleep and eat, and from there will work to repair the runway at Catalina’s Airport in the Sky. The $5 million project is expected to take three months and will be used as a training exercise for the Marines.

The project is a collaboration between the Catalina Island Conservancy and U.S. military. It will restore the 77-year-old runway that has become cracked and decayed. Presently, there are about 7,000 flights onto Catalina Island each year."
We asked the airport staff about this yesterday. They think the published timeline (both starting and finishing) are optimistic. No final details about the temporary runway yet, but it might end up being the taxiway, and be restricted to commercial freight flights only.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post

Just yesterday I was talking with a buddy of mine who is still active duty. Catalina airport came up and he told me about the Marine Corps doing the work. He knows the chief engineer in charge of the whole deal. Pretty cool.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM

My brother's engineering firm has been involved in this project. He first told me about in August.

Long over due.