What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass Panels for Dummies

emsvitil

Well Known Member
Glass Panels for Dummies

Is there a thread/stickie/matrix beginners guide somewhere on how to select components for a glass panel?

Glass panels

From my experience, you can?t go wrong by contact Steinair. Not only do they do a good job, but Stein himself is superbly patient when people such as myself call tech service with questions which for him must sound dumb.

As far as the actual panels, I have used GRT for both my RV9a and my present RV8 project. Like Stein, they have been consistently patient and helpful answering my questions.

Good luck with your selection, Brent Owen

A free and easy way to get a better understanding of components and how they work together is to go to the vendor sites (G-word, D-word, and maybe that MG something or other) and download their free pubs.

I haven't yet seen an "Glass Panels for Dummies" type book. Though, thats not a bad idea.

Be sure to search YouTube. I know that Dynon has a channel there with some excellent tutorials.

I'm installing Dynon right now and I found the picture on this page to be the most helpful. It shows how everything links together.

I've been watching the Garmin webinars, when the Garmin guys "advertise" them here. I took pictures of my computer screen when one of the "maps" would appear.

We also have a Sling 2 with all glass Garmin. I like it so well that that's what I'm putting in my RV9A, and laying it out the same way. The only difference is, the Sling has the 10" screen, I'm doing 2 7" portraits. Plus, when I bought the project, the guy I bought it from already had the wiring harness built for all Garmin (2 screens).

Go fly with with your RV buddies that have glass and decide what you like.

Carl

I can't emphasis Carl's recommendation highly enough.

Get your short list of vendors, then go fly with somebody. You'll see the differences more effectively. Watch somebody flying an approach is more beneficial that any manual or vendor sales pitch. While all EFIS providers are getting better, some are better than others based upon your personal preferences and work management style. Watch the button pushes. Are they intuitive or do you have to memorize the menu tree?

Don?t forget to price out the complete system. Maybe you really want a brand X autopilot. Will the proposed efis support brand X? Maybe you want ADSB-in; Will your proposed efis display adsb data from the low cost brand Y box, or only from their expensive, in-house box? The dollars add up.

Step one is to define the requirements. It's your airplane - how will it be used? Figure that out and let that start you down the path. You might not need any glass at all.

Also don't underestimate the "other stuff". Seems like every time I turn around I am ordering more wire and various parts from Stein. If I could do it again I would order a serious amount of wire right off the bat.

Back