What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I-320 H2AD mixture, idle, EGT

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello,

Back again with the never ending learning from all you fine folk. This time on an O-320 H2AD.

1. High EGT?s: #3 and #4 run high EGT?s. Anywhere below 5K with full rich mixture those two EGTs are in the mid 1400?s. #1 and #2 are normal to low. CHT?s look fine on all 4 with no major variation. As opposed to my O-360 where if I lean, I can go pretty far back with an associated rise in RMP as it peaks even at sea level, on this one it almost seems like it?s already at peak and I can?t get a rise in EGT if I lean at low altitudes. This is the same for on the ground. No rise in RMP at all when leaning. Mixture arm goes full deflection both ways. If I cut off either the mag or EI in flight the EGT?s will fly past 1500.

2. Reference above: inability to peak with leaning at low altitudes or on deck. (Ie. seems to be operating near a peak) Though it won?t get rough till about 1/3 of the mixture pulled out. Just no rise.

3. High IDLE. Will idle around 880 +/-20. Throttle goes full deflection and adjusted the idle speed screw to make sure the throttle had full throw and it did. Do I mess with the idle mixture screw? If so how? What else?

This is running on 1 mag and 1 EI. Runs smooth on both. Wooden prop.

Thanks for the help and insight!

Cheers!

Charles

Sounds like an intake air leak. Check hoses and gaskets for intake tubes as well as primer lines (if installed) and primer port plugs. With that high of an idle you may have trouble slowing it down to land.
Greg RV9A EFII 0-320-H2AD

Back