What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket dimension needed please

vfrazier

Well Known Member
Gents,

As part of the new project, I need a dimension that isn't on any blueprint please, from a stock F1 Rocket with a Lycoming IO-540, Indy mount, and a constant speed prop.

What I need is the exact distance from the face of the firewall to the aft edge of the spinner. Not the firewall flange, which varies, but the face. And please don't measure the curved length along the top of the cowling. Actually, I could use that dimension too, as a back up reference, but it'll complicate the set up if I don't have the requested dimension also.

So, the next time you've got the top cowl off of your Rocket, please grab a 4' drywall T-square, or other decent straight edge, and write down the dimension.

I'm building a new engine mount jig and having this number is critical to making the new mount "swappable" with an existing mount.

THANKS in advance!

From the firewall ( top ) to the spinner ( top ) : 1135 mm + 2mm fiberfrax = 44,76 inch

Claudio

Claudio,

Thanks very much for the data point. It will be used to confirm some dimensions while making a 4 cylinder engine mount.

Didn't Larry Veterman do that with his rocket?

Yes, he did. He also said at LOE 2009 that it handled better with the lighter engine up front. Didn't get to talk to him long enough back then to ask about how he handled the W&B issues.

Vince,
Good luck with the project. Let us know how it goes.

Yes, it will be an option for those who want a lighter plane, or have an engine already.

Of course, a 6 cylinder mount is still going to be available too.

Tune into our blog occasionally for updates as the project progresses.

Back