What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inventory and shipping advice

Staunch111

Well Known Member
I'm hoping someone may assist. I am in the middle purchasing a 2007 RV7 slow build (unstarted) and am needing to attend the vendor's residence for inventory and packing in a couple of weeks.

I have sent 3 emails to VANs and unfortunately have had no response (over the last 3 weeks). Apparently I'm not the only one.

So,

1) Does someone have a packing list from around 2007 onwards they can forward to me. All subkits, fuse is a tip up, and includes the finishing kit for a 200HP.

2) To date I have been quoted approx USD1100 to have shipping crates made. How much are you guys paying for crates? Surely not that amount. I'm having 4 built (not six) according to VANS website, perhaps increasing the height by a little and sqeezing the empenage components in. Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce the cost or should I simply suck it up?

3) I currently have a 25 mm base with 16mm frame. Side walls 7 mm ply with the lid 3mm. OR, should the frames and ply be stronger.

The kit will be delivered by me to the courier's depot and then road freighted 3000miles to my home address in Sydney (domestic only). I'm guessing as long as they dont stack the crates on toip of each other, or put afork lift through them they'll be fine. I will be insuring the goods while in transit. Am I missing anything?

My email: [email protected]

Thanks in Advance!

Yep. The crates are long gone. He's also having issues with VANs and their email responses. Cynthia over at VANs is always really good. Can only think they have been busy with Osh.

inventory

I have an inventory up to the fuse kit. It does not include the finish kit. I e-mailed you the file.

Your crates sound a little over designed. That may be the reason for the cost.
The wing crates a 7mm plywood top and bottom with 20mm sides.
The fuse crate is also 7mm top and bottom but has 7mm sides with a 20mm internal frame.
Both have 5x10 cm boards underneath for the forklift to slide under.

Last edited:
Comments Please

OK. I got in touch with Anne at Vans and it appears Cythia didn't get any of our emails. Anne has given me some additonal shippinging information. She even ran around the factory and took some photos for me. Thanks Anne. Your a legend.

For future reference, if anyone is thinking about having crates made to ship a complete RV7 kit, trust me, its a hassle in itself. Not to mention having to travel 3000 miles to inventory, have crates arive in advance, pack, then having to perosnally deliver the items to the courier depot because they say "it's to far for us to ocome out" is a royal PITA. So don't get me started.
Now, my question to all those who are far smater than I.

My crates for the kit, (not inlcuding the empenage because I'm thinking I'll be able to squeeze that in somewhere within the Wing Skins, Fuse or Finish crate) is at 276kg (607lbs). The crate + goods weight on the Vans website is 508kg (1118lbs).

Does anyone think my crate weight is excessive? Comments please?

Not to mention at 607 lbs for wood is costing the equivalent of USD 1100. Ouch!

Is there a ship involved in the shipping? If not and the 3000 mi are road miles, then you might find it easier to just rent a truck and drive your loot home yourself. That's what I'd do around here. Get a bunch of furniture blankets to make layers between things. Pad a lot and drive it home!

Oh, and if you drive yourself you can use dish cartons or wardrobes to put skins and tall things in - they are rugged. In fact you could probably ship a great deal of your smaller parts in such cartons and save a crate for the more difficult things. All of the ribs, stiffeners and hardware could go like that.

crate weight

I don't know what my crates weigh but they are not very heavy. 600 lbs sounds a bit heavy. My wing, fuse and longeron crates weighed 700 lbs total with everything inside.

Switch the top and bottoms to 7mm ply. Sides can be 20mm pine or 7mm ply with an internal frame for support. Run two 5cm x 10cm boards across the width on the bottom. Space them 90cm apart equally spaced from the center of the crate. They provide support for the parts inside and provide a space for the forks of the forklift.

I think you're missing a crate.
How are you shipping the longerons and spars?
That was one of the heaviest crates because it was so long at 15'. It was 7mm ply top and bottom with 20 mm x 20 cm pine sides. It has to be packed carefully because your wing spars, center section and longerons are in it. They are heavy and very expensive too!

I would consider the option of a 3,000 mi drive for peace of mind.

Thank you to those who provided input. It's almost official, by next week I'll be the proud owner of a very expensive pile of aluminium. :)

Back