What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question on 796a bracket

bill v

Well Known Member
I'm working on the forward fuslage and getting the angle in place that is behind the 796a bracket that attaches to the fuel tank. the directions have you leave the holes at 1/8 but then when you go to attach the bracket and fit it to the wings you will have to drill this hole out to 3/16 and then use the bracket as a guide to drill the second hole. It looks to me that it would be better to drill both holes before the wing is in the way and you will need to use an angle drill? what do you people that are past this think?

You should be able to drill it from inside the fuselage. The two brackets (tank end and fuselage end) should be held together with a clamp before the drilling at the fuselage is done. After the drilling all the holes, the final assembly can be done if you remove the wings one more time.

I just did this about two weeks ago. I left the holes at 1/8 inch. I hung the wings and just followed the instructions. It was really no big deal just using my tight angle drill. I drilled the top hole, removed the bracket and bent it 5 degrees to lay flat on the fuel tank attach angle. I then bolted the top hole to the fuselage and clamped the bracket where it attaches to the fuel tank. I then drilled the bottom hole and got a really good fit. I did mark a centerline on the fuselage side just to make sure it was aligned well before drilling the bottom hole.

Back