What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Indicator

dspender

Well Known Member
I purchased the Ray Allen control and am fabricating an aluminum shelf to place it upon at the juncture of the wing and fuselage. It will be outside the cabin, configured as Mike Starkey has configured his. I like the concept and simplicity. Does anyone have any adverse experience with moisture affecting the performance with the control in this location?

I purchased the Ray Allen control and am fabricating an aluminum shelf to place it upon at the juncture of the wing and fuselage. It will be outside the cabin, configured as Mike Starkey has configured his. I like the concept and simplicity. Does anyone have any adverse experience with moisture affecting the performance with the control in this location?

Mine is located inside the cabin in front of one of the rear seats. Plenty of room there since you have the cover that protects the flap rod. In my opinion, this is a better option. There already is too much stuff in the wing root, plus you don't have to worry about moisture.

Bob did you also use the RA POS-12? If so, do you have a photo(s) of the installation you can share?

Thanks, no problems so far.

I made an arm and attached it to the flap torque tube inside the tunnel. My sensor is fitted to an inside wall and joined with a model aircraft adjustable actuator rod.

Bob did you also use the RA POS-12? If so, do you have a photo(s) of the installation you can share?

Hmmm, Safari dies every time I click the photo insert button this morning. I'll have to look into that issue.

This URL will take you to to a page in my build log that has a photo.

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rleffler&project=260&category=8447&log=163704&row=55

This isn't the final configuration. I know have the arm that is shown going under the adel clamp directly attached to the bolt in the adel clamp. It was slipping when it was simply clamp by the adel clamp. The flap motor as a lot of torque and when the POS reached the end of its travel it sometime caused some slippage. Attaching it to the bolt solved that problem.

1100+ hors in the wing root and LOTS of wet weather flight. So far zero problems.

If you can rig it inside that may be better but the wing root seems to be fine.

Here is how I did it inside the tunnel

IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg

1100+ hors in the wing root and LOTS of wet weather flight. So far zero problems.

If you can rig it inside that may be better but the wing root seems to be fine.

Same here. Inside may work fine, but it's easy to install in the wing root.

Here is a pic of one in the right wing root, I was helping with an annual last week. I think it has a couple hundred hours on it and it didn't look like any moisture had gotten in and was effecting it. When I get to this point on mine though, I think I'll probably install inside.

20150502_140613.jpg

Last edited:
Back