Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
Viking offered me the HD PSRU for $1000 plus a return on my old unit. I thought this was fair so I jumped on it.
Was the old unit operational or broken?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Was the old unit operational or broken?
Dan,

No, it was 100% functional and from everything I could tell it was in very good shape. But he recommended the HD version since I was planning on using a turbo engine and it just made sense to me to go with the stronger box.

He uses the standard box for the 1.5L NA honda. I am using a 1.8L engine and planning on some very light turbo boost (5lbs).

Plus I do like the improved venting and site glass in the HD version.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 01-15-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Default earlier pictures

Hey Charlie,
very good infos. Just started to reread from the first page. The R18 seems to be a real good start for a conversation - lightweight, powerful and the last generation without direct injection. Your posts start with a running engine. Do you happen to have some pictures from earlier stages?
D-MDRV RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
WTB HomebuiltHelp DVD's for RV-12
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Tom View Post
Hey Charlie,
very good infos. Just started to reread from the first page. The R18 seems to be a real good start for a conversation - lightweight, powerful and the last generation without direct injection. Your posts start with a running engine. Do you happen to have some pictures from earlier stages?
Tom,

I did look back for the early pics and found these two, not sure what you are looking for but this is about as early as it gets....

Here it the weight of the longblock- including the starter of course.....

Last edited by charosenz : 01-16-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Hey Charlie,
Tom,

This one shows the internal oil separating channels that are normally covered with a plate...

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 01-16-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

My Sube weighs 194 with starter so this is very light.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 427.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the pictures Charlie.
From your Youtube Favorite List I assume you are no professional welder or automobile engineer, but rather someone who is willing to invest time and effort in learning new skills. Where did you get all that knowledge to get to such an amazing result?

How did you start you alternative engine project?

What did you remove from the engine?
How did you select anchor points?
How was the original throttle modified?

How difficult is it to wire all sensors, ignition and stuff to the SDS EFI?

This list goes on endless.... So where best to look for answers?
Sorry for so many questions. Hope you don't mind...
D-MDRV RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
WTB HomebuiltHelp DVD's for RV-12
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures Charlie.
From your Youtube Favorite List I assume you are no professional welder or automobile engineer, but rather someone who is willing to invest time and effort in learning new skills. Where did you get all that knowledge to get to such an amazing result?

How did you start you alternative engine project?

What did you remove from the engine?
How did you select anchor points?
How was the original throttle modified?

How difficult is it to wire all sensors, ignition and stuff to the SDS EFI?

This list goes on endless.... So where best to look for answers?
Sorry for so many questions. Hope you don't mind...
Tom,

Some people are mechanically inclined, some are not. And building an experimental airplane is certainly not for someone who does not like to work with their hands and build things. Some are comfortable building a kit plane but would not think about tackling an "alternative" engine. I guess it just depends on how you are "wired".

I work hard at learning from real "been there done that" folks. We have a very active local EAA chapter here and there are a lot of folks who have built planes and were very helpful to me. I was one of about 6 guys who built RV planes in our EAA chapter. My kit was probably one of the last "no holes pre-drilled or punched" kits. I drilled, deburred, dimpled or counter sunk ever hole myself. Not bragging just sayin'.

I got my private in 1980 and I have been active in EAA for most of the past 40ish years. I have seen lots of successes and lots of failures. Truthfully there is nothing special about me but other than I try to keep an open mind to learn from both.

As far as the engine and the set up go, you mentioned the sensors and ECU. I cannot say enough good things about the SDS EFI and the over 2 decades of support that Ross and Barry have provided. Truly unparalled support. The system just makes the set up programming of the ignition and injection systems easy.

Back to the engine. There are a lot of great engines out there. You just need to figure out which one that has the right power, weight, and history of longevity that works for your set up. And find a PSRU / reduction drive gearbox that is appropriately sized and shaped (offset) that you need. This can be more difficult than the choice for the engine.

I hope that answers some of your questions, hope so.

Time will tell about my set up, it is too early to call this a success . I feel good about the progress but the proof will be in how well it turns out in the end, and that is still a ways off. We shall see.....

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : Yesterday at 11:10 PM.