Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM

This sound great! I havenít used this type of headset, but I have used the Communication Ear Plugs in my Army helmet. This looks like a great solution for the RV and you gotta love that comes from someone in our community!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlaeser View Post
I
I literally make my own earplugs from these. I heat up a small wire (cheap hangers from the cleaners work great), poke a hole, and insert the tubes I pull out of the Halo headsets.
Hmmm, I make my own too. I have to try the hot wire method. I compress the plug axially to a small disc then use a leather punch to make the hole. Remove the plug and after they are expanded insert an awl and roll until it expands the hole and insert a recovered Halo tube with some super glue. My challenge is to keep the hard tube recessed a 16th of so to keep it from painful contact in my ear during insertion. I am only on my second set so, the process is far from refined.

It sure would be nice to eliminate this process, but have no guidance for the perfect product.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlaeser View Post

I found these: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max.
I find them much softer and far (noticeably so) quieter than anything the current manufacturers provide.

I literally make my own earplugs from these. I heat up a small wire (cheap hangers from the cleaners work great), poke a hole, and insert the tubes I pull out of the Halo headsets.
For the short CA screw-in plugs, I literally insert a Halo tube into the CA plug, and cut it to the correct length for the earplugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
This sound great! I haven’t used this type of headset, but I have used the Communication Ear Plugs in my Army helmet. This looks like a great solution for the RV and you gotta love that comes from someone in our community!
Ah....another winter project.

I use the Communication ear plugs the Army helo drivers use when I fly the biplane. I ordered a bag of the Howard Leight Max foam earplugs and will attempt modifying them to work with the Army system.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Waiting on the ad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
....I'm waiting on the ad <g>.

v/r,dr
Awesome discussion. We've been looking at alternatives for our second ANR headset. We'll check out the CQ1 when we see the Ad!
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 PM

I just received my set today. I will give it a try in a few days when the weather clears up a bit. The headset does not use the same speaker system (CEP) I used under my Army helmet. The CEP system is a small speaker with a soft Comply ear tip that was connected to the helmet.

I will say the CQ1 headset is very lightweight and comfortable sitting in my house.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Hmmm, I make my own too. I have to try the hot wire method. I compress the plug axially to a small disc then use a leather punch to make the hole. Remove the plug and after they are expanded insert an awl and roll until it expands the hole and insert a recovered Halo tube with some super glue. My challenge is to keep the hard tube recessed a 16th of so to keep it from painful contact in my ear during insertion. I am only on my second set so, the process is far from refined.

It sure would be nice to eliminate this process, but have no guidance for the perfect product.
I don't care for the foam plugs so I've been using Shure EATFL1-6 - Triple Flange instead on my Clarity Aloft set for 4 years. The triple flange plugs fit the CA headset perfectly, last quite a long time and are easy to clean. They work for me ...
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I don't care for the foam plugs so I've been using Shure EATFL1-6 - Triple Flange instead on my Clarity Aloft set for 4 years. The triple flange plugs fit the CA headset perfectly, last quite a long time and are easy to clean. They work for me ...
Yep, that is an option. I must say, I've been surprised at how many people like the triple flange (not a lot, but enough). We'll end up carrying some, but it won't be my first recommendation. It has the least noise attenuation of just about any other ear tip. It just goes to show how unique every person and ear are.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Yep, that is an option. I must say, I've been surprised at how many people like the triple flange (not a lot, but enough). We'll end up carrying some, but it won't be my first recommendation. It has the least noise attenuation of just about any other ear tip. It just goes to show how unique every person and ear are.
Many folks say custom-molded earplugs similarly provide less attenuation than soft foam plugs. As Scott said, everybody is different. My molded plugs fit very well and attenuate noise as well as the yellow Etymotic plugs. And they last forever in my oily ears.

Yup, everybody is different!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM

Default custom mold experience

I tried two sets of custom molded ear plugs with my Lightspeeds back in the day. The second set was an attempt to correct an issue with the first set - it didn't.

Seems my ear canal changes shape so much with the position of my jaw that it completely changes the fit of the seal. My option was to fly with my jaw clenched all the time on set one, or have ear canal pain when I did so on set two, which was purposely molded with my jaw in a more relaxed position than the first attempt. The audiologist and I were both discouraged by this, but it was what it was and I ended up selling the Lightspeeds.

So when I get my Card headset, I'm sure it will be soft compliant foam ear tips for me, not molded silicone.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

My son made me a 3D printed holder for the plugs I use (doing by hand was very inconsistent). I put the pin in a drill press, center the plug under the pin, heat the pin with my Bernz-O-Matic torch, and then poke it through. I immediately insert the tube, and the hole is gooey enough that it stays put with no glue needed. Pretty easy to keep the tube from going too far. Been doing this for many years.

I applaud the Cards for their new product. Next time I need a headset, I will certainly give them a try.
uAvionixEcho ADSB in/out with GRT Safe Fly GPS