What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel fit / interference with cylinder intake

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'll be calling for advice from Van's on this in the morning, but wondering if anyone has had problems fitting snorkel due to interference with intake pipe on Cylinder #3?

I test fit today after installing the aft and forward baffles. Even removing the air filter frame and trying to more or less force it into position the snorkel and frame won't align well enough to avoid interference with intake pipe. I haven't even mounted the FM-150 servo yet, just wanted to get a sense of how the snorkel fitting process will be.

Photos on latest blog post (link in signature). Any advice/experience appreciated. My engine is a Thunderbolt but should be standard IO-390.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The FM-150 requires the snorkel to be modified. There are a couple threads here on VAF. Mount the servo before trying to fit the snorkel now.

The FM-150 requires the snorkel to be modified. There are a couple threads here on VAF. Mount the servo before trying to fit the snorkel now.

Aware of that but my issue has nothing to do with the servo - I haven't even tried to fit the servo yet. I can't get the snorkel to mate up with the filter frame because of interference with the cylinder intake.

Ok, gotcha I would mount the servo and spacer and trial fit again. The servo and spacer moves the snorkel pretty far out from the sump and that may give you enough space from the intake tube. The stock snorkel won't fit well in the top mounting ring when it's angled to fit the FM-150.

mine comes very close to the intake on #3 but not touching. One easy fix, in my opinion, is to heat up that section of the snorkel with a heat gun and just push it a bit in. This is of course in case of it is not a big interference and need minor adjustment.

I had to cut off servo flange and re-attach to align with FM-150. To get the snorkel where I thought it should be, it touched the #2 intake runner. I cut out an area in the snorkel where it was touching the intake, put some florist foam inside the snorkel and carved out the shape I wanted to make and glassed it to close back up. Worked out pretty well. I can send pics.

I had to cut off servo flange and re-attach to align with FM-150. To get the snorkel where I thought it should be, it touched the #2 intake runner. I cut out an area in the snorkel where it was touching the intake, put some florist foam inside the snorkel and carved out the shape I wanted to make and glassed it to close back up. Worked out pretty well. I can send pics.

I'm going to try "Nova RV's" method
(http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=162451).

I have tested the fit with the air filter frame out (and I had to remove a mounting lug from the Skytec "NL" starter) and I think I can make it work by modifying the snorkel at the frame end as shown in Nova's thread. I'm comfortable with glass work and if I need to tweak fit around the I may take you up on that.

Great input from all here - thanks again!

Ok, gotcha I would mount the servo and spacer and trial fit again. The servo and spacer moves the snorkel pretty far out from the sump and that may give you enough space from the intake tube. The stock snorkel won't fit well in the top mounting ring when it's angled to fit the FM-150.

Revisited your thread and tried the fit with filter frame out as shown in your photos. I think it's going to work out with your method - thanks for the input!

Back