What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Rudder Trailing Edge Question

PHXflyer

Ok, I did multiple searches trying to find an answer, and while I was amazed at the number of questions re the rudder trailing edge, I couldn't find any that addressed the issue I'm grappling with.

Page 070-07, Step 1: "Mark the locations of the skin edges on the trailing edge." Then "Romove the trailing edge and trim to the marked length to make the R-00916-1 Trailing Edge."

The problem is if I trim it where I marked the skin, it cuts right across one of the lightening holes in the trailing edge, which means the top of the rudder trailing edge will have a small crescent hole in it. Figure 1 on the page in fact shows this discrepancy. But Figure 2 right next to it doesn't show it, and it's actually pictured with a slight downward angle straight cut. All Figures on subsequent pages show this downward angle straight cut. But nowhere in the instructions does it say to make the cut in a manner that eliminates the remains of the lightening hole, nor to make it in a downward cut.

My question is: do I remove the hatched area in Figure 1 by cutting where I marked where the skin edge is, or do I remove the hatched area as depicted in subsequent Figures? I can't move the trailing edge because where the rivet holes line up means there will always be a lightening hole going right across the edge of the skin.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been staring at this thing for, literally, two days trying to figure it out.

it cuts right across one of the lightening holes in the trailing edge, which means the top of the rudder trailing edge will have a small crescent hole in it

Mine ended up like this, totally fine.

Last edited:
Reads as if you?re concerned about looks....the R-909 Rudder ?Cap? is fitted and will cover this crescent area with no one ever the wiser. Look somewhere at the back of the emp. section...12-05?
H

Proseal

Also, if you really want the crescent edge filled in, just throw in a tiny amount of pro-seal after you finish riveting and it will be flush.

Reads as if you?re concerned about looks....the R-909 Rudder ?Cap? is fitted and will cover this crescent area with no one ever the wiser. Look somewhere at the back of the emp. section...12-05?
H

Not at all as I know it wouldn't be visible - but that is not to say I'm not concerned about the appearance of my ship when she's done. :)

Honestly, I was more concerned with that little crescent being a nice holder for moisture. Also, I always question any discrepancies in any document, be it the plans for the airplane I'm building or something as innocuous as an automobile owner's manual (which most people never bother to read).

But very much appreciate the insight. Didn't occur to me to look all the way towards the back of the empenage section. Thanks.

Back