Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCC View Post
Jason, I was actually just looking at that one. How do you like it? are you able to get an insulated cover over it?
I really like it and yes, a boot does cover the terminals very well. I ended up putting a stainless doubler along with nutplates on the inside of my firewall.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
I did not build my -10 but there have been flying Learjets for decades. In years past there have been jets lost due to chafing of the un-fused battery wiring. There is now a requirement to check the wiring for chafing during routine maintenence (condition) inspections. All of our un-fused wiring is held tightly in place with Adel clamps and has chafe sleeve over it.

This thread has me wondering if my -10 wiring from aft battery to the starter solenoid is vulnerable to chafing that could cause a fire. Is it common to add any chafe protection to this fairly long wire run?
I was concerned about that #2 wire under the mostly riveted baggage floor and rear seat.

I slipped fairly thick PVC tubing over the cable before I pushed it through the space under the seats/baggage and also used Heyco bushings at the rear seat bulkhead.

I used the correct Mil-spec wire, but only because I had it given to me during my -6 build. It's stiffness makes it harder to work with
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM

Don't want to get into this debate, but I'm a die hard fan of Tefzel wire, the insulation properties far exceed welding cable in every regard, I also won't use a non-tin plated wire due to corrosion issues with bare copper. The aircraft industry switched to Tefzel a long time ago for good reason.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Don't want to get into this debate, but I'm a die hard fan of Tefzel wire, the insulation properties far exceed welding cable in every regard, I also won't use a non-tin plated wire due to corrosion issues with bare copper. The aircraft industry switched to Tefzel a long time ago for good reason.
Walt,

I too figured Tefzel wire was a better choice than welding cable - until I put a torch to a sample of each. The welding cable faired much better.

Carl
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 AM

Default Relocated Starter Relay

I also worried about a fat #2 unfused always hot cable in the belly of my RV-10 project My answer was to relocate the starter relay next to the battery, which is behind the baggage bulkhead. The master relay is also there. A fused #8 wire connects the battery to the forward primary bus through the master.

RV-4 - Looking to buy
RV-14 - Selling assembled tail kit
RV-12 - Flying 2016; Sold 2018
RV-10 - Sold 2018; Flying 2018
SeaRey - Flying 2012; Sold 2017
2018 Contribution made
Old 09-27-2018, 04:12 PM

Default battery line

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!
Dues happily paid 2018
Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I too figured Tefzel wire was a better choice than welding cable - until I put a torch to a sample of each.
I commend you for actually testing both cable types. That's what being "Experimental" is all about.

For the record, I used 2/0 (not #2) aircraft (not Tefzel) cable because my Sky-Tec starter draws around 400A. I actually checked it with a 500A shunt. My cable runs are short so the weight difference is insignificant. It's one less thing I have to worry about.

We could also get into crimping vs. soldering <evil grin>.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Walt,

I too figured Tefzel wire was a better choice than welding cable - until I put a torch to a sample of each. The welding cable faired much better.

Carl
An interesting test, but until you inhale the fumes from burning versions of both from within a closed environment, you don't know which will kill you faster. No susch thing as non-flamable and flexible electrical insulator. The key is reducing the time that it takes for the fumes to kill you. I assume tefzel is similar to teflon and the gases produced from teflon under flame are WAY less toxic than PVC, and much smaller quantities of fumes are produced. "Time to death" is substantially prolonged when inhaling burning teflon over PVC. Within a confined space, no one cares which burns faster or more completely, its all about the toxicity and quantity of the fumes and reducing the time from exposure to death. I am sure this why Dan preaches ceramic thermal insulators instead of plastic or rubber based stuff.

This is why any non-conduited wire in a plenum ceiling (typical for commercial office space) MUST have a teflon insulator. Absolutely no PVC allowed. As you may have guessed, I spent many years in the telcom business involved with low voltage wiring.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 PM

Aaand... what does pvc have in common with welding cable?
Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Aaand... what does pvc have in common with welding cable?
I am guessing welding cable has a rubber insulator, though I suspect some are PVC. Pretty confident that the welding cable I just purchased for my Tig welder is a soft PVC. I simply don't know. While I am only familiar with the effects of PVC, I have seen rubber burn and it gives off a LOT of smoke. However, I cannot speak to the toxicity of it. This was why I referenced that a better test is inhaling both to determine effects (tonque in check of curse - much research data is available). I was just pointing out that how two samples look after burning them isn't the key factor to consider for fires in confined areas. I am somewhat confident that if rubber were a safer insulator with less toxic burn characteristics for a confined aircraft cabin that it would be specified instead of Tefzel. I am pretty confident that Boeing has done this research (they would be open to major lawsuits if they didn't) and they don't use Rubber insulators on their wire and from my experience I have a high confidence they don't use PVC. I am guessing they use Tefzel.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-27-2018 at 11:43 PM.