- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Default pass through

I used one of these Blue Sea Systems Terminal Feed through Connector
Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 PM

Here are a few things to think about. First, the technique described in the Aeroelectric book is approved for/used in certified a/c, so it must do a pretty good job of fire and CO protection. (Using intumescient caulk will improve performance over the old certified technique.) Next, it removes two connections in a high current feed line. The feed-through devices shown so far seem to have plastic insulators, which will disappear pretty quickly in a fire. They also add the two additional break points (plus the break points for the pair of cable terminals) mentioned earlier.

So, unless you can find some feed-throughs with ceramic insulators, there is risk if there is a fire, and regardless, there's almost certainly going to be higher resistance in the high current feed line due to the extra connections. There's also the reliability question with the added connections.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do; just trying to supply some things to think about.

Charlie
Old 09-25-2018, 09:06 PM

I did exactly what Carl suggested. However once I finished all my runs I filled each fitting up with 3M fire barrier too.
Donated for 2018
Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 PM

Default then...

"...So, unless you can find some feed-throughs with ceramic insulators, there is risk if there is a fire, and regardless, there's almost certainly going to be higher resistance in the high current feed line due to the extra connections. There's also the reliability question with the added connections.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do; just trying to supply some things to think about..."

Then I guess I probably shouldn't say that I'm using electronic fuel injection and ignition, electronic linear actuators for heat valves and oil cooler valve controlled by an arduino, an uninsulated firewall, welding cable for contactor wiring, and firewall pass throughs.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 AM

Blue Sea Systems also sells something similar, which is what I used. It's design intent was for marine use in waterproof bulkheads.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 AM

I did not build my -10 but there have been flying Learjets for decades. In years past there have been jets lost due to chafing of the un-fused battery wiring. There is now a requirement to check the wiring for chafing during routine maintenence (condition) inspections. All of our un-fused wiring is held tightly in place with Adel clamps and has chafe sleeve over it.

This thread has me wondering if my -10 wiring from aft battery to the starter solenoid is vulnerable to chafing that could cause a fire. Is it common to add any chafe protection to this fairly long wire run?
48X
Old 09-26-2018, 07:04 AM

It is common to take steps to prevent wire chafing, no matter what the gauge. Many options available on how to do this. You select the appropriate method based on the specific circumstance.

Carl
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
"...So, unless you can find some feed-throughs with ceramic insulators, there is risk if there is a fire, and regardless, there's almost certainly going to be higher resistance in the high current feed line due to the extra connections. There's also the reliability question with the added connections.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do; just trying to supply some things to think about..."

Then I guess I probably shouldn't say that I'm using electronic fuel injection and ignition, electronic linear actuators for heat valves and oil cooler valve controlled by an arduino, an uninsulated firewall, welding cable for contactor wiring, and firewall pass throughs.
Sarcasm is more fun if there's a point to it.

I too will be using an alternative engine controller (that controls an alternative engine, which is a risk I'm assuming you're *not* taking). I, too, have an uninsulated firewall, and welding cable for my 'fat' wires. And after a few careers in electronics fields spanning 4 decades, I don't have many electronic control whizzies because it's no longer that interesting to me and for most of my needs, simpler/lighter to do it manually. Everybody has to have firewall passthroughs of some type. The only reason for my previous post is that someone might be making a choice of passthrough *method* and *device* without knowing (through inexperience or misinformation) all the upsides and downsides of each choice.

Last edited by rv7charlie : 09-26-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Jason, I was actually just looking at that one. How do you like it? are you able to get an insulated cover over it?
Dues happily paid 2018
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Sarcasm is more fun if there's a point to it.

I too will be using an alternative engine controller (that controls an alternative engine, which is a risk I'm assuming you're *not* taking). I, too, have an uninsulated firewall, and welding cable for my 'fat' wires. And after a few careers in electronics fields spanning 4 decades, I don't have many electronic control whizzies because it's no longer that interesting to me and for most of my needs, simpler/lighter to do it manually. Everybody has to have firewall passthroughs of some type. The only reason for my previous post is that someone might be making a choice of passthrough *method* and *device* without knowing (through inexperience or misinformation) all the upsides and downsides of each choice.
My comment wasn't meant as an attack of any kind...sorry but there is no tone in this type of communication.

After several reply drafts I came to the conclusion that debating this isn't worth it.

Everyone must do their own risk assessment and decide what is above their "safe" threshold.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+