VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-29-2018, 03:03 AM

Thanks for all of your help! That is good advice Doc, sadly the builder didnít drill all the way through to the floor and skins as suggested in the plans so Kyle, if you are back from Blighty then if you could send the measurements that would be a big help in minimising the number of random holes we need to drill!

Thanks Scott we are going to order the bushings from TCW before we start making holes.

Thanks again your expertise is hugely appreciated

Sandy
Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Default CS rivets are indeed fine

Nothing at all against CS, cherrymax. and alike when used or needed, it was just a personal preference that has been passed on to me by some old mechanics that I have had the pleasure to work with over the years. I did not mean to imply CS rivets should not be used in the baggage compartment. My comment was not meant to be a criticism, my apology.

Cheers & happy building/flying, Mike
RV10 slow build, 200+ hours in the air
Old 09-29-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machsandy View Post
...so Kyle, if you are back from Blighty then if you could send the measurements that would be a big help in minimising the number of random holes we need to drill!

Sandy
OK, these measurements are from my airplane, but I assume that due to the matched hole construction, the variation shouldn't be much from plane to plane.

The step bolt access holes in the belly are located:
  • 2 1/16" aft of the edge of the F-1076 belly skin.
  • 1/2" inboard of the edge of the F-1070 side skin (where it is rolled to the belly of the airplane).

The step bolt access holes in the baggage compartment are located:
  • 3 5/16" aft of the centerline of the row of rivets which secures the piano hinges for the rear seats.
  • 8 11/16" outboard of the rivet line where the F1020 ribs attach to the baggage compartment floor.

Before I drilled anything, I'd very carefully eyeball the proposed location of the holes against the physical location of the steps just to make sure the locations I provided make sense.

After that, I'd drill each of the holes to 1/8" first, then adjust the location with a file if necessary, and drill to final size. (The final size on mine is 5/8")
2019(?) RV-10