VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2016, 10:50 AM
JackinMichigan's Avatar
JackinMichigan JackinMichigan is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 210
Default Mystery Threaded Hole in Engine

I hate asking dumb questions, but here I go again.

There is a threaded port in my IO-540. It is currently plugged with a red plastic screw in plug. It is pointed upward and sets just an inch or so forward of the oil filter. It is not the crankcase vent, or the oil cooler fittings since those are already install per the plans.

It appears to be a 3/8 pipe thread but I can only get a 3/8 pipe plug inserted by about one or even 1/2 of a thread. I am not going to put a wrench on it and force it into the hole. I have emailed Lycoming and they have not replied.

Can anybody tell me what that thread is for sure??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
I hate asking dumb questions, but here I go again.

There is a threaded port in my IO-540. It is currently plugged with a red plastic screw in plug. It is pointed upward and sets just an inch or so forward of the oil filter. It is not the crankcase vent, or the oil cooler fittings since those are already install per the plans.

It appears to be a 3/8 pipe thread but I can only get a 3/8 pipe plug inserted by about one or even 1/2 of a thread. I am not going to put a wrench on it and force it into the hole. I have emailed Lycoming and they have not replied.

Can anybody tell me what that thread is for sure??
Based upon your description it sounds like the port for the oil temp probe.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 08-31-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
JackinMichigan's Avatar
JackinMichigan JackinMichigan is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 210
Default You Maybe Right

I am wrapping up my build. I don't remember installing a oil temp probe. (but I may have) Great reply, so now I start scrounging to see if I can find that temp probe..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 PM
clutch22 clutch22 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 227
Default

Yeah, it's the oil temp probe location. Not sure what avionics you are going with. My G3X setup had the probe in the box with all the other sensors (CHT,egt, etc.). It uses straight threads with a crush washer.
__________________
Andrew Austin

RV-10
-Flying!


Dues Paid 11/27/2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2016, 12:18 PM
JackinMichigan's Avatar
JackinMichigan JackinMichigan is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 210
Default Not the Temp Sensor

I checked, and my temp sensor is installed about 3" forward of this mystery hole. I don't know why I put my probe in the front hole instead of the rear, but my vague memory is that the probe did not fit into the rear hole.

I did find the plug, which is metal, from the hole that I am using for the temp probe. It appears to fit the thread in my mystery hole.

So, my new question is: Did I put the temp probe in the wrong hole?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2016, 12:52 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
I checked, and my temp sensor is installed about 3" forward of this mystery hole. I don't know why I put my probe in the front hole instead of the rear, but my vague memory is that the probe did not fit into the rear hole.

I did find the plug, which is metal, from the hole that I am using for the temp probe. It appears to fit the thread in my mystery hole.

So, my new question is: Did I put the temp probe in the wrong hole?
Then you likely have your temp sensor in the wrong port.
The port in the top of the oil filter adapter, just fwd of the filter, is for the oil temp sensor.

It sounds like you have it in the port at the top left of the accessory housing, near the hole for the crank case breather. That port is not for oil temp.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM
clutch22 clutch22 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 227
Default

This is kind of funny to me because I originally did the exact same thing.
I even had a temporary plug in the correct location (on the oil filter adapter) like you. I got tunnel vision and forgot the temp plug was there, a whole 3" away. The reason I stuck it in the "incorrect" location is because I was looking at the picture Garmin provides in their G3X install manual. They show it going in the forward location. When I talked to my mechanic, he talked me into moving it to the oil filter adapter location as that's where they usually are placed.
So, as far as it being incorrect, I'm not sure. Garmin apparently has theirs there.
After I ordered some new crush washers, it was a 15 minute job to get everything the way it should and safety wired.
__________________
Andrew Austin

RV-10
-Flying!


Dues Paid 11/27/2017
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2016, 02:16 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 5,325
Default

I recommend you get an engine manual, with diagrams (worth a thousand words). Search the internet, download one for free.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch22 View Post
This is kind of funny to me because I originally did the exact same thing.
I even had a temporary plug in the correct location (on the oil filter adapter) like you. I got tunnel vision and forgot the temp plug was there, a whole 3" away. The reason I stuck it in the "incorrect" location is because I was looking at the picture Garmin provides in their G3X install manual. They show it going in the forward location. When I talked to my mechanic, he talked me into moving it to the oil filter adapter location as that's where they usually are placed.
So, as far as it being incorrect, I'm not sure. Garmin apparently has theirs there.
After I ordered some new crush washers, it was a 15 minute job to get everything the way it should and safety wired.
My guess is that's because the pics in the G3X install manual are of a 360 which might have a slightly different accessory and oil filter adapter config than a 540.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2016, 03:10 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
My guess is that's because the pics in the G3X install manual are of a 360 which might have a slightly different accessory and oil filter adapter config than a 540.
It is pretty much the same for all the 4 and 6 cyl Lycomings.

I think someone at Garmin just made a mistake.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.