VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Anti Splat vacuum kit

I would like to avoid an air-oil separator, but also reduce the amount of wasted oil on the belly of my RV-8. I see that there is a vacuum kit that is designed to dump the post-separator air directly into the exhaust to be burned up, and also achieve some other benefits of negative pressure in the case.

Would it be possible to install the vacuum kit without the separator? Would it achieve the desired result of a dry underneath without recycling oil/acid/water etc back into the engine? Would there be any drawbacks vs the complete system with the separator?
Old 10-05-2018, 02:51 PM

It's not really designed to burn off the oil in the pipe, just to provide some suction. Without the separator, I think you'd probably see high oil consumption and possibly gum up the PCV valve.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
I would like to avoid an air-oil separator, but also reduce the amount of wasted oil on the belly of my RV-8. I see that there is a vacuum kit that is designed to dump the post-separator air directly into the exhaust to be burned up, and also achieve some other benefits of negative pressure in the case.

Would it be possible to install the vacuum kit without the separator? Would it achieve the desired result of a dry underneath without recycling oil/acid/water etc back into the engine? Would there be any drawbacks vs the complete system with the separator?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM

I have the case vacuum without a separator on my O-320. There is no noticeable change in anything. No oil consumption increase, no noticeable power increase, no noticeable change on case oil weeps, no noticeable change of oil on the belly.

I clean the tube in the pipe about 25 hrs and it is built up crusty so I know that oil stayed off the belly.

Rick C.
RV-6 993 hrs.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 PM

I put the separator and by pass valve kit on my 7 and the belly is spotless and oil consumption is reduced to almost zero. Mine is 10 to 1 compression and always used a little oil out the breather. Its an awesome product just need to make sure to check the by pass valve and exhaust for coking at each oil change according to them
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 AM

I installed the vacuum kit with the Aerosplat air oil separator on my 150hp low compression O320 (RV-3) and plumbed the separator output to a collector bottle. I collect about one ounce of oil in the bottle per 25 hours. Typically cruise at 2400-2450rpm.