What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few changes.

oaklandaviator

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of upgrading my wife's RV-3. We had the O-320 E2d overhauled and had the power increased to 160 hp. Installing a new Catto three blade prop, inverted oil, Ellison injector, flop tube in the tank, and the new filtered air intake with larger cowl inlet. Also changing the gear legs as one was bent (I suspect a heat treatment problem).

Anxious to get it back together and see how it performs. It's an RV-3 with the wing mods completed. Anyone flying a similar setup? I'm hopeful for some good performance...

RV-3

I fly an RV-3 with 160 hp. My prop is a Sensinich 70x79 which gives me great (+2000 fpm) climb performance, but my top speed is not up to snuff due to the RPM limitation(2,600 max) of the prop. I can do 195 mph at 3,000 ft at 2,600 rpm....but I still have another 100 RPM to spare at that point. I was going to repitch it to 81 or 82, but decided to save my money for a Catto. I have contacted Craig Catto and discussed the right prop for the RV-3, and that is most likely what you have.

Climb will be amazing, and you should get about 215-218mph (indicated) out of it with no problem. Have fun with that, and let your wife fly it once in a while:)

Best
Dave

similar setup ...

I've got an O-320-E2D, 7:1 pistons (150hp), and a 3-blade Catto, 69dia x 70pitch. That's somewhat of a climb prop - on a std day I'll get 2200fpm climb at sea level. Typically I'll cruise at 150kts, 21"mp, 2500rpm, 7gph, any faster and it gets awfully noisy in the cockpit on long trips. WOT yields 200mph true at sea level std day.

Hey, keep us informed how the Ellison installation goes. I've got an MA-4 carb that I'm a bit tired of fiddling with (the gasket on the accel pump wears out every 150 hours or so, and carb ice is sometimes a worry). I've been thinking about an Ellison, but haven't heard any operational reports

- Steven
(1000 RV3 hours - another one coming up this weekend!)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Gear is back on and almost ready to mount the engine. Really looking forward to seeing how it does after the changes. The Ellison looks fantastic; just hope it works as well as it looks!

Back