What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Happy Customer; Russ McCutcheon step repair

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
My passenger step had been cracked for more than a year. I finally forced myself to remove the step and get it repaired. I exchanged email with Russ McCutcheon about doing the repair because he has a good reputation, he built the step originally, and because he was local to me. I had not met Russ before he repaired/reinforced my step. I believe Russ and I have been at some airports at the same time.

I removed the passenger step last Thursday. Probably took less than 3 hours total. I had riveted the baggage floor skins in, per plans. My wife (Capt Sandy on VAF) and I were driving to Seattle for the weekend, so I was able to leave the cracked step at Russ's shop on the way to Seattle Friday morning. Friday afternoon he sent me pictures of the completed repair. I picked up the step on the way home Sunday afternoon.

Russ was very easy and responsive to communicate with, via email and text. He had previously done the internal I-beam repair for another VAF member and Russ said that was "too invasive" for him to repeat. After looking at the reinforcement on Van's demo plane he offered to repair mine for $30. I think the repaired step look great.

See Russ's post about offering repair service at http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=134249

Time to go reinstall the step.

Russ is a wizard! And a super nice guy.
As I have stated here before, I am a welder, at one time certified, long ago.... I still weld my own jigs and fixtures, but when it comes to something for the airplanes, I call on Russ. His skills are humbling...
See you at the next fly in Roy.

Back