What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Refurbished RV-4

AzAero

Purchased a flying aircraft built in 2000. Low time, High quality build and well equipped with tall gear, O360, CS prop, etc. Exterior was John Deere green and interior was cheddar yellow. I spent the first 6 months of ownership doing a complete strip and repaint taking care of any needed maintenance along the way as aircraft was disassembled. Flying the aircraft now and having a blast with it! Previously owned a C-140 and a Citabria 7eca. Both great aircraft, but the RV is definitely another level of fun!

Looks fantastic! I recall seeing that -4 on Barnstormers and wasn't a fan of the paint. I think you made the right choice!

WOW!!

Talk about sweat equity! Original builder must have liked John Deere farm equipment. Though, it looks like he built a nice bird for you to take it from there. I love the changes you made.

1) What did you come across that needed fixing?
2) Is yours a short gear RV-4 I am having a hard time telling. I used to get to fly a short gear 360 powered 4 previously and was not a fan of the short gear with the long prop. It was safe, just a consideration that always was on my mind anyway.
3) How may hours did you put into her for paint?
4) What's the weight difference (did you save any??)

:)

WOW!!

Talk about sweat equity! Original builder must have liked John Deere farm equipment. Though, it looks like he built a nice bird for you to take it from there. I love the changes you made.

1) What did you come across that needed fixing?
2) Is yours a short gear RV-4 I am having a hard time telling. I used to get to fly a short gear 360 powered 4 previously and was not a fan of the short gear with the long prop. It was safe, just a consideration that always was on my mind anyway.
3) How may hours did you put into her for paint?
4) What's the weight difference (did you save any??)

:)
Thanks Eddie.
1) Pulled tanks to fix small leaks, install new senders and safety wire fuel pick-up tubes per SB. Rebuilt brakes, installed new tail wheel(had the old non swiveling) Took care of any SB's that weren't complied with and did a thorough conditional inspection.
2)Tall gear-with HD weldments/gussets were a must for me.
3)Didn't keep track of hours. Six months of spare time. Pulling and refinishing the interior drastically increased time spent.
4) Weight was a wash-1070lbs. empty

Refurbished RV4

Wow!! What a difference a great paint job makes!! Beautiful airplane and great fun to fly!!

Thanks Eddie.
1) Pulled tanks to fix small leaks, install new senders and safety wire fuel pick-up tubes per SB. Rebuilt brakes, installed new tail wheel(had the old non swiveling) Took care of any SB's that weren't complied with and did a thorough conditional inspection.
2)Tall gear-with HD weldments/gussets were a must for me.
3)Didn't keep track of hours. Six months of spare time. Pulling and refinishing the interior drastically increased time spent.
4) Weight was a wash-1070lbs. empty

What a great accomplishment! She's a beauty.

Amazing job! Looks great! I like JD?s but not on airplanes. Just wondering what you used for paint stripper? Also do you have to take precautions to keep the stripper from between riveted parts? Wash with water?

Professional grade peroxide based chemical stripper took the paint off well. Neither the peroxide or methylene chloride would completely remove primer which had to be scrubbed off with maroon scotchbrite and soap/Mek solution. Following strip includes pressure wash with steam cleaner, soap scrub and etch and alodine treatment.

The devil is in the details, eh? It's never as easy as we envision or think it will be :) Clearly it was worth it though.

Turned out beautiful and will be very easy to sell in the future if desired. Same thing happened to me when I was looking to buy my RV-8, some out there had paint jobs that only the current owner could love.

I didn't want to spend the extra time and expense of restoring it so I finally found one that was all white where I could do a decal job to get it to where I liked it.

You did an amazing job with yours, congrats !

Beautiful, meticulous job with great vision! My boys dream is a -4, I'm torn, side by side for wife and x-country occasionally, or all out fun most days alone or with my boys. Yours inspires me and the boys!:D

Beautiful, meticulous job with great vision! My boys dream is a -4, I'm torn, side by side for wife and x-country occasionally, or all out fun most days alone or with my boys. Yours inspires me and the boys!:D

Thankyou! My wife would likely prefer side by side, but has been quite comfortable on the few short x-country flights we have taken. We get were we are going fast which seems to impress her. Most of my flying is solo and I prefer tandem and the 4 has not disappointed! Hard to go wrong with any model Vans, great airplanes!

Your Four...

Exterior was John Deere green and interior was cheddar yellow.

Nicely done Chris!
Your expertise as an aircraft painter is intuitively obvious! Great looking Four and glad to see another one flying!
V/R
Smokey

PS: I enlisted the help of an expert like yourself when I painted my RV4 in 1997. A recent photo sent to me by the new owner confirms my conviction on paint, "you get out of it what you put into it".
It still looks new, 22 years later...I'm sure yours will too.

Last edited:
Back