What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin SL-40 Slide-In Replacement

azflyer21

Well Known Member
Is there a direct slide-in replacement available for the Garmin SL-40 Comm? Any brand will work.

Thanks,

Yes, the SL-40. Sorry, I have never heard of another radio that fits the same tray.

I spoke to Stein about this at air venture last month. The ICOM ? 210 and the newer one? Think maybe 225? Or are the same size but you have to put in a new tray and move some pinouts on the serial connection.

A-210

I spoke to Stein about this at air venture last month. The ICOM – 210 and the newer one… Think maybe 225? Or are the same size but you have to put in a new tray and move some pinouts on the serial connection.

Yep - I have an ICOM A-210 installed in an SL-40 tray in my RV-7. (used to have a second A-210 installed in an SL-30 tray before I swapped it out for an IFD-440). The 210s came with two back panels - the standard one using edge connectors and one with a DB-15 connector for use in an SL-30/40 tray. Works great.

Last edited:
The A-210

I used the A-210. There is now a newer one (A-220 I believe). Don't know about it.

BTW - the A-210 fitting in the SL-40 tray is not just a happy accident - ICOM specifically designed it that way apparently in the hope of getting some upgrade business from people moving to the bigger OLED display, etc.

Last edited:
This is good news to me....

My SL-40 began failing on my way to OSH in July. High level white noise that would break squelch and make stations almost impossible to hear unless within 5 miles or so. On my return flight I had my handheld all riggged to an external antenna for a backup, and of course the SL-40 worked fine all the way. But if it failed once, it will fail again sooner or later.

At OSH I visited several vendor booths, including Garmin, and got the same answer everywhere - there is no replacement that fits the same rack space. From what you guys are saying there is! It apppears I have a replacement option when I need it. Thanks for sharing this information.

ICOM A-210 ONLY!

OK, a quick look at the installation manual for the NEW ICOM radio - the A-220 reveals that it WILL NOT slide into an SL-40/30 tray. It uses a DB-25 connector on the back panel whereas the SL-40 uses a DB-15 - so it is obviously a non-starter. It appears that it will fit into the same physical space in the stack however, so that might be some help.

The older ICOM A-210 radio is a direct slide in replacement for an SL-40 and will directly fit into an SL-40 rack (after you swap out the included back panels). This is the way I originally installed two A-210s in my RV-7. I actually purchased an SL-40 tray and an SL-30 tray for this purpose.

Icom A-210 SL-40 replacement

You can get an Icom A-210 to slide directly into a SL-40 tray without any wiring changes if you have the Icom retrofit radio back plate. Easy to swap with the original radio back with the retrofit SL-40 radio back plate. There is directions online to make the change.

The Icom part number for the back plate is MB-113. The retail price was $75, just to give you an idea what it is worth. These are not available from Icom anymore as I had called them when I was given an A-210 last year. I asked here and found one. Ask and see if anyone is willing to sell you one if you find an Icom A-210 cheap. They came with the radio, and if someone installed theirs with the Icom rack, they might have theirs laying around somewhere.

It is not the best radio, but it will work for you application.

You also might find someone in Europe that has a SL-40 laying around when they swapped it out for a 833KHZ radio.

If you PM with your email, I will send you a picture of the back plate you need.

Good luck.

Brian

Repair?

Why not call Keith Peshak in TX? 512-636-0851 he advertises a $499 repair on barnstormers. You said you have an external antenna hookup and a handheld, so you are not Nordo during a repair.

Last edited:
You can get an Icom A-210 to slide directly into a SL-40 tray without any wiring changes if you have the Icom retrofit radio back plate. Easy to swap with the original radio back with the retrofit SL-40 radio back plate. There is directions online to make the change.

The Icom part number for the back plate is MB-113. The retail price was $75, just to give you an idea what it is worth. These are not available from Icom anymore as I had called them when I was given an A-210 last year. I asked here and found one. Ask and see if anyone is willing to sell you one if you find an Icom A-210 cheap. They came with the radio, and if someone installed theirs with the Icom rack, they might have theirs laying around somewhere.

It is not the best radio, but it will work for you application.

You also might find someone in Europe that has a SL-40 laying around when they swapped it out for a 833KHZ radio.

If you PM with your email, I will send you a picture of the back plate you need.

Good luck.

Brian

I have one of these backing plates that I never used with my A210 radio.

If someone needs it, PM me.

There you go, just what the doctor ordered

Another RV'r stepping up to the plate to help another Rv'r out. Just got to love this site.

If not, here is someone selling a SL-40 at a good price.

From panel upgrade. Working perfectly when removed. Excellent condition. Including tray and backplate, but without harness. $625.00 plus shipping. Check or Paypal.
Terry, CFI (Ph: 248-417-8585)
RV9A N323TP

Brian

The SL40 tray will work with the Icom 210 and MB113; I had to replace the Garmin for an 8.33 radio.
But I wouldn?t do it again. After two years of problems with receiving ground stations I gave up. The radio has been back to the factory, has been checked in the plane, but always kept problems receiving ground stations at a larger distance. For instance, flying from France to the UK, I could never receive London info while being mid-channel. Last weekend I installed a Trig TY 91, flew to England and got London Info crystal clear. I will keep the Icom as comm2, but the difference in quality is obvious.

Why not call Keith Peshak in TX? 512-636-0851 he advertises a $499 repair on barnstormers. You said you have an external antenna hookup and a handheld, so you are not Nordo during a repair.

Thanks for that info. Sounds like a viable alternative. However, the darn thing has been working perfectly lately so no sense sending it out for a ?No trouble found? report. Dontcha just love intermittent problems? 😡

Back