What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernier throttle

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
Well guys, just to report, I got my new (to me) 1998 -6A yesterday. She sits like a beautiful bird in my hanger.
Just 1 question. I have never been a big fan of the vernier throttle controls. Just my prefrence. This -6A has it. Just wondering if there was anything I can do to UN vernier it short or replacement. Seems like I rread somewhere that you could remove a ball that is in it. Any truth to that?

Search!!

One day I'll learn to use the search function. Thanks........that's the info I was looking for. :)

Throttle

Get rid of the that thing. I had a friend crash his RV-6 off the end of the runway because he got the brakes and could not get off the throttle since it was "locked". I never like flying his airplane with it. It seems I was always wanting a little bit of throttle on flares and could not get it because you had to twist or unlock the throttle. RV's are not a C-210 or Bonanza. Maybe in a RV-10 it's OK.

No help here

We built our RV-6A, started in 1996, with a vernier throttle, prop and mixture. Flew fine that way for 9 years of travel and racing but had to convert this year to satisfy the formation requirement associated with Reno. It is a little awkward because of the variations in remote end sleeve terminations and lengths available. I replaced it with one bought through Wicks (ACS cable) which failed after flying for about 10 hours jammed solid in the full idle position. I returned it for failure analysis and never heard anything about it even though I offered to pay for the lab work. I ordered another one from, Van's this time, and I have about 50 hours on it with no problem. So after considerable time and expense I have a working friction lock throttle cable but I would never have gone through this if there was not an external requirement that forced me into it.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Congrats on getting back in the air after selling the moondawg, Jimmy.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Hi Bill....

Hey Bill....good to hear from you. You can go look at 986DC (temporarily, I'm going to change the tail #) in the hanger. There are some things I'm going to do, one at a time. Maybe Santa will come early this year....lol. It's already IFR certified, but it is basic IFR, but I don't do a lot of hard IFR anyway. Flown the last 8 years by a retired Fedex captain. Nice flying 6A. See ya in a few days.
JJ

Back