What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 vs Mustang II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aden Rich

Well Known Member
I just read my AOPA on the airplane comparison.
I was not impressed the least, stating that the two airplanes are similar.
First, the Mustang II has a lot more "mods" on it than the stocker RV-7 has.
IF some of you are old enough (I'm 39:D), I remember reading the first Rvators while sitting on the toilet doing you know what :confused:, when I was about 8. Even back then, the RV-6 with a O-320 beat the Mustang II.
Hands down. I remember that steely grin Van has in the article.....

Fast forward about 30 years and they are trying that storyline again.
However, this time, the planes are not evenly matched.
The Mustang has about every known speed mod (Sam James cowling with plenum chamber, wheel pants from ???, increased fuel ......
These are not the same planes to compare.
THe Mustang owner does admit that his airplane is faster and not as comfortable but lets compare apples to apples. He says the "fat" and square wing just doesn't go that fast.

When I get my RV-6 done with all the bells and whistles on it, lets see if the Mustang can keep up. I won't be "seeing" much of him except in my rear view mirror....;)

The main reason you don't see many Mustangs around is because the RV (6-7) was and is a "better" airplane. Easier to build. It goes just as fast, lands slower, hauls more and handles better throughout the envelope.
Don't get me wrong, if I had enough money I would have one of everything-they are all fun. However, if I can only have one.........make it an RV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back