What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guess this makes it official...

Congrats! Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to the club!

A small bit of advice up front:

You will be receiving many boxes and crates over the next few years. It is really exciting when they show up, and you can't wait to dig into them. Just make SURE you inspect them before signing for delivery. Take photos and document ANY damage.

Nearly every crate I received was damaged and so noted on the BOL. :eek:

Several parts were replaced due to damage.

In the excitement, it is easy to look past the inspection step...take your time and do it right...

Just to add some more advice. Besides the inspection, be sure to properly inventory and organize your parts. You will find this is a much better way to find things later than digging through parts lists to find bag numbers and then searching through bags to find the parts. I used plastic boxes with compartments and then used a label maker to label each little box.

Also, you're probably going to want a different (bigger and quieter) compressor than what you have. I started with the exact same one, because I didn't have 220V in my garage. There are better ones out there that run on 110V. I got a Harbor Freight 29 gallons, two stage, oiled, that's much quieter, although the best ones run on 220V.

Congrats guys this is a truly great moment when your first crate arrives, now the fun really starts. As others have said, my 2 pence worth;

1) Inventory everything and inspect for damage (look at the holes on skins and surrounding areas)
2) Break down all the brown bags and setup a stores area for all your parts as it will make life alot easier
3) Get in the workshop everyday if you can
4) Search for any local RV builders near you its a great community even here in scotland
5) Enlist in the EAA courses if no previous experience before starting the kit, Vans training kit are a great way to start
6)How will you store each part?

Have a great time starting , just fininshing up on the emp with the fuse arriving in the summer and have loved the process thus far just looking forward to my 4 year old being able to help deburring next year :)

Back