- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Archer Nav performance

Just started flying the 10 and as I notice things Iím looking into them. Currently noticing the archer Nav antenna on one Nav radio flags sometimes below 4000 ft. Wondering if that would be normal for vor range. It does pick up and lock into glideslope well. So donít know if itís a radio problem or not. Any comparisons?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 PM

There are numerous threads on the subject of Archer antennas.

Short version is that when PROPERLY installed, it works great but has somewhat less range than external catwhiskers. Important aspects of the install are routing of the wingtip lighting along the leading edge of the antenna and it should be grounded either by installing to a piece of angle on the outboard rib or under the tip attach nutplates. It should also be installed as far forward in the tip as possible without touching heat shielding, strobes and Nav lights.
RV-10 #2 99.9% Complete
Old 01-19-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Just started flying the 10 and as I notice things Iím looking into them. Currently noticing the archer Nav antenna on one Nav radio flags sometimes below 4000 ft. Wondering if that would be normal for vor range. It does pick up and lock into glideslope well. So donít know if itís a radio problem or not. Any comparisons?
My Archer Nav antenna has worked flawlessly for 20-years. When installed according to directions, they work flawlessly.

Need to know the distance from VOR more than the altitude. Yes altitude can be an issue if you are too far from the VOR but typically distance is what is needed as well as the type of VOR you are using. (VOR types: Terminal = 25 NM, Low Altitude = 40 NM, High Altitude = 40 NM - 100 NM - 130 NM altitude dependent)

It is typical for my RV-6, Archer Nav Antenna, SL-30 setup to pickup VOR signal before I can hear the Morse Code at distances over 40 NM when more than 1,000 AGL over level terrain.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcondrey View Post

Short version is that when PROPERLY installed, it works great but has somewhat less range than external catwhiskers. Important aspects of the install are routing of the wingtip lighting along the leading edge of the antenna and it should be grounded either by installing to a piece of angle on the outboard rib or under the tip attach nutplates. It should also be installed as far forward in the tip as possible without touching heat shielding, strobes and Nav lights.
I disagree with the external catwhiskers having more range. I always pickup VOR signals with on my SL-30 and Archer Nav Antenna before the RV flying with me that has catwhiskers.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS

Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcondrey View Post

I didnít see anything about other grounding in the diagrams, the center conductor goes to one terminal and the grounded shield goes to the other terminal. What would be the purpose of another ground?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Section 3.3.5 & 3.5.1 and figure 1 where it shows “overlap” and “end of metal wing”

Here’s Bob Archer’s explanation for how this antenna operates. Scroll down or search for “gamma match”. https://sportcraftantennas.wordpress.com
RV-10 #2 99.9% Complete

Last edited by bcondrey : 01-19-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
I disagree with the external catwhiskers having more range. I always pickup VOR signals with on my SL-30 and Archer Nav Antenna before the RV flying with me that has catwhiskers.
I agree. I can pick up VORs at distances well beyond their service volume with the archer antenna on an Avidyne IFD. But it was installed according to directions, as I suspect your was.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM

I will have to recheck that. The kit I bought the previous builder had already glassed in the antenna to the wingtips but vaguely recall it adjoining the line of screws for the wingtip. Have to wait for a no fly day to disassemble though.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Default I have both

I have both installed and have tried a few times to see the difference. The cat whiskers work twice the range of the bob archer. I'm not saying the bob archer doesn't work ok I'm saying my cat whiskers work double the range.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasnuts View Post
I have both installed and have tried a few times to see the difference. The cat whiskers work twice the range of the bob archer. I'm not saying the bob archer doesn't work ok I'm saying my cat whiskers work double the range.
The Archer Antenna is not installed correctly. When installed correctly, it will outperform the cat whisker.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS