What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling fuselage belly wing root screw holes

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Today was big - the first fitting of my wings. Nothing out of the ordinary, and I'm leaving the rear spar drilling for tomorrow. In the meantime, how have you located the screw holes that are drilled into the fuselage belly overhang, into the existing screw holes of the wing lower skin? I've got the 3" location marks and lines as discussed in the plans, to locate each of the screw holes going fore to aft. But how do I locate how outboard the holes are? I don't even think I can fit my blind hole locator up in there (could be wrong, please tell me so). Hoping to reduce my head-scratching.

The wing root fairings themselves are drilled up and ready. This is the last part to drill. And double checking the flap fitting.

Only 1/8-1/4" forward sweep, that made me happy. ;)

Long bit

Today was big - the first fitting of my wings. Nothing out of the ordinary, and I'm leaving the rear spar drilling for tomorrow. In the meantime, how have you located the screw holes that are drilled into the fuselage belly overhang, into the existing screw holes of the wing lower skin? I've got the 3" location marks and lines as discussed in the plans, to locate each of the screw holes going fore to aft. But how do I locate how outboard the holes are? I don't even think I can fit my blind hole locator up in there (could be wrong, please tell me so). Hoping to reduce my head-scratching.

The wing root fairings themselves are drilled up and ready. This is the last part to drill. And double checking the flap fitting.

Only 1/8-1/4" forward sweep, that made me happy. ;)

I used a long bit and drilled from the opposite side.

That's my preferred way Larry. I don't know if I'll be able to fit a long bit in. I think the 7's root gap is just slightly wider. But I'll be trying that anyway.

Another way is to draw pairs of lines on the bottom of your wing that intersect at each individual hole. Extend the lines far enough away from the hole that they are visible when the wings are mounted and can be extended onto the belly skin. Punch and drill the holes where the lines intersect.

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. Just draw a line forward on the belly skin extending the existing rivet line in the wing at the first wing rib there. It'll be easier to think this stuff through tomorrow once my new propane heater comes up to temp. It was a bit chilly in there today, especially compared to 71F outside yesterday. :eek: Thanks again all.

Another way is to draw pairs of lines on the bottom of your wing that intersect at each individual hole. Extend the lines far enough away from the hole that they are visible when the wings are mounted and can be extended onto the belly skin. Punch and drill the holes where the lines intersect.

That's the method.

wings%20marking%20-%201.jpg

Back