What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems attaching aileron brackets

Ever have one of those days on your project where you just throw down your tools and say "I'm done for the day". Had one yesterday. I'm working on a QB RV-7 kit trying to attach the A407 / A406 aileron brackets and keep gouging the holes in the end ribs of the ailerons. The pilot holes in the ailerons are about#30 and I need to drill them out to the final 3/16" size for the AN3 bolt. But every time I try to drill them, the drill bit grabs on the aileron spar, thrusts forward and bends/gouges the hole in the flange of the aileron tip rib. I've tried clamping everything tight with cleco clamps and starting with small size drill bits and working up to 3/16", but still having problems. When the drill bit grabs it's like the drill leaps out of my hand. The only other thing I can think of is to try to use my drill press so I can control the plunge of the drill bit.

Any ideas?

Steps

Go up in baby steps til about .010" less than the final size. Use a reamer to get the last step.

In addition to Larry's recommendations, I'd also take a look at the following.
1. What type of drill bits are you using? I have found on many hardware store drill bits that the tip is cut at too aggressive an angle. Use bits from aircraft supply stores when ever possible.
2. Pressure. Don't apply too much. Sure, hold the drill firmly, but only light downward pressure is required.
3. Clean the burr up and start again with a smaller bit. Sometimes this can be achieved by briefly running the drill in reverse. If this doesn't work, grab your debuting tool and get at it until the burr that the drill is catching on is removed, then start drilling again. I find the deburring bit with about six flutes works best for this.
Good luck.
Tom.

If you have clearance, you can use a step drill here to open up the holes.

I'd also check your drill bits, as well. I've had some HW store drills that I've tossed out because they really tend to grab (all mine have come form Avery (RIP) or Brown tool) I've not had issues drilling up holes like this in small steps (1/32 or 1/64 increments) with good drills.

You might also want to buy some spring drill stops. The Yardstore has them pretty cheap. They will prevent the drill bit from getting pulled through the hole.

Ditto on hardware store drill bits. They will also hurt you when the grab the aluminum. Make sure and use split point bits from just about any aircraft parts/tools dealer. Purchasing from them takes out the guess work of whether you're buying the right kind of bit. They're not that expensive. #30 and #40 are the most used and I have about ten of each of those sizes. Overkill maybe, but I can keep one in the drill press, drill, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll ditch the hardware store drill bits and get some good acft grade bits as well as try some of the other ideas.

Capt Riney

Back