What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

balancing flight controls after paint

rv-6hank

I am painting my rv-6 Can someone help me out on finding the rite way to balance my flight controls.I cant find it in the plans from the build...

I am painting my rv-6 Can someone help me out on finding the rite way to balance my flight controls.I cant find it in the plans from the build...

The only control surface on an RV-6 that is statically balanced is the elevator. From what I have read, Van's doesn't require they be rebalanced after paint. If you wish to do so, the balance weights are under the elevator tips. You can add washers to the bolts holding the counterweight on (and a longer bolt) if you need more weight. If you need less weight tou can remove some material from the counterweight.

An RV-7A crashed in Canada due in part to control surface imbalance after painting.

Many people have front-loaded the surfaces by including extra lead, and then drilled holes in the lead afterwards to balance.

Balanced control surfaces

Unless the air is different up there in Canada, I would be extremely skeptical of that statement. Vans has never put out anything about balancing your surfaces after paint. If you can get the balance within 95% then you are doing very well.
There is the RV-3 does not have counter balances at all??
Counter balances are used for flutter and to make the control surfaces have a lighter feel.
IF a RV-7A crashed due to balance problems, I would be willing to be the counter weights were not installed correctly or at all.
Between myself and my father, we have built and flown about 11 RV/Rocket aircraft and non have had the controls balanced after painting. Several have gone over 250mph with no issues.
The only critical balancing issues we have seen with Rockets in the unbalanced rudder at high speeds. Going to RV-8 rudders solves this issue.

I drilled out some lead, before the elevators were painted. I balanced them as a unit. After painting, I had to add 5 oz. of lead back to the right side. I had a trim servo on the left. To do so, I drilled holes on angles, with some anchoring pins, and put molten lead back in. I then fiberglassed over the "mess" for a nice smooth finish. It's important to get a good anchor with pins and angled holes, to make sure that nothing pops out to jam the elevator in flight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back