What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New emp on RV-6

palle737

I'm New Here
My dad's RV6A took quite a beating last year, when it flipped over.

So we need to redo most of the emp. It's no longer sold as a kit, and it would be easier to fit something prepunched.

I read some time ago, that it was possible to fit the EMP from an RV7? Does anybody have experience doing that.

Increased weight? Other issues?

Palle

Plenty

HI

there are hundreds of incomplete empenages for sixes out there, I have one sitting in my workshop. Unfortunately its in the UK, but I am sure if you put the feelers out you will get a 6 one cheaply.

It may be a good idea to fit the 7 rudder anyway but dont give up on 6 bits.

I am in the middle of fitting an RV-7 tail onto my -6 right now. I do have a small issue with the width of the fuselage being a little mismatched to the horizontal stab, but that is my fault. Beyond that, the RV-7 tail goes on just fine. Since you are replacing an existing tail it could be a bit more challenging back-drilling the holes.

WAM120RV, I have sent you an email. Im located in Denmark, so UK is no problem.

If you no somebody that has the lexan for the canopy lying around, I need that too.

And a new gearleg.

Palle

RV-6 EMP

I would get a RV-7 horz stab and elevators and a RV-8 Vert Stab and Rudder. All pre-punched and would fit on the RV-6.
Will cost a bit more buying parts out of each kit but you don't need the RV-7 vert stab on a RV-6.

I would get a RV-7 horz stab and elevators and a RV-8 Vert Stab and Rudder. All pre-punched and would fit on the RV-6.
Will cost a bit more buying parts out of each kit but you don't need the RV-7 vert stab on a RV-6.

The RV-7 and RV-8 (and the RV-9) vertical stab. is the same. Only the rudder is different. The RV-8 has a more traditional rudder with counterbalance. The RV-7 and 9 use the same (larger) counterbalanced rudder with a riveted trailing edge.

I agree that the best choice is to use the vertical stab and rudder combination used on the RV-8. This is actually what was being shipped in the emp. kits for the last RV-6 kits sold, just before the RV-7 was introduced.

Palle,

Just in case you aren't able to procure that 6 tail in the UK, and FWIW...I put an 8 VS and Rudder on my -6 last summer. Fit quite nicely, and even the tail fairing was pretty close without rework (will take a little tweaking to get it really nice, but it was darn close). As Scott said, this was the recommended VS/Rudder replacement when I checked with Van's.

In case you're wondering, here's how it looks on a 6:

Lynn%2520at%2520RARA.jpg

Seems the new tail made pretty blonde race fans want to sit in the driver's seat...OK, OK, this one is the wife of a retired Marine Colonel buddy of mine, but it sounded good, eh! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the flip, and good luck in the rebuild!

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, that's not how it will look on a six..............:rolleyes:

Now your airplane is just a six?.........:eek:

Back