What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spot for Airworthiness Certificate

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Where did you folks locate your Airworthiness Certificate in your airplanes? It looks like the the Cert is to be put in a location visible to either pilots or passengers.

I've got the Sportsman 2 side panels in my airplane. Just want to know where I can locate it permanently so that it doesn't get beat up. I'm sure that someone has found a nifty place to put this thing.

Input/Pics is appreciated!

I had a discussion about exactly this matter with the Lubbock TX FSDO last month, they told me that as long as it was in the airplane and accessible upon request, nobody would care. Other FSDO's may vary.

14CFR 91.203(b) covers this
(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under § 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew.

The "or" is important.

I found this interesting interpretation:

http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/display-of-airworthiness-certificate.html

They claim there was an FAA rule interpretation that allows the AC to be visible to either the crew or passengers, but it's not required that both can see it at the same time, so many airliners have the AC posted on the cockpit side of the cockpit door. During boarding that side of the door is visible to passengers, during flight ops, to the crew.

So, hypothetically, one might be able to mount it in the pilot side foot well and meet the interpretation.

I had a discussion about exactly this matter with the Lubbock TX FSDO last month, they told me that as long as it was in the airplane and accessible upon request, nobody would care. Other FSDO's may vary.

(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under ? 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew.

As usual, if someone at a FSDO says something contrary to the FAR's, that doesn't make it correct.
Particularly if the FAR is pretty clear in its meaning....

So aside from the wording of the FAR...I'm curious as to the rationale behind it.

Why? What was the original intent of this rule? Is it even remotely a problem today that people are flying around in aircraft that don't have an AW cert?

AW location

I have the AW cert and reg in a plastic holder so they are visible behind the pax seat on the side wall.

With some contortions and good eye sight they are also legible.

Airliner certs are just barely visible from some pax seats and certainly not legible from there. So....anywhere in the plane that is visible and could be read with out removing them would seem to be OK.

(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under ? 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew.

In my opinion, on an RV, posted anywhere in the cabin is visible from the cabin entrance.
Mine is on the RH aft cabin sidewall behind the seat.

The "or" is important.

I found this interesting interpretation:

http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/display-of-airworthiness-certificate.html

They claim there was an FAA rule interpretation that allows the AC to be visible to either the crew or passengers, but it's not required that both can see it at the same time, so many airliners have the AC posted on the cockpit side of the cockpit door. During boarding that side of the door is visible to passengers, during flight ops, to the crew.

So, hypothetically, one might be able to mount it in the pilot side foot well and meet the interpretation.

Interestingly that is the exact location in my certified Tiger.

I just checked the FAA approved parts manual and an item called "envelope" is listed and shown in that location. It's a clear plastic envelope glued to the sidewall trim right by the pilot's legs.

I just checked the FAA approved parts manual and an item called "envelope" is listed and shown in that location. It's a clear plastic envelope glued to the sidewall trim right by the pilot's legs.

That's where mine is, except that it is attached with Velcro.

Back