What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cedar Meadows Fly-in Saturday May 26

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
2nvdzl3.jpg

Looks like the first post met its shelf life, so I'll start again.

Food from 11am to 1pm (absolutely free lunch)
Formation demonstrations
Chicken bombing.
Adult beverages after 5.

Restroom on site
Wi-Fi available.
Camping Sat night OK

RW 9/27 (9 preferred) Left traffic, pattern alt 1500
Runway is 3000 x 80, good turf. We recently had several RV12s on the field, and last year there was a RV9A (yeah, I know that was VLAD and he'll land anywhere, but still...) and RV6A, so the field is suitable for nose wheel RVs
Monitor 122.9

Fly-in is open to ALL aircraft, not just RVs.

We've had 8 inches of rain this last week so the runway is currently closed. But the forecast is for good weather this week, and I expect things will be dried out by Saturday.

I'll post an update later this week for the status of the event.

Last edited:
Cedar Meadows is not far from Winchester Rgnl (KOKV) and High View (61VA).

I found it using Lat / Long that was posted a few years ago and entered into Foreflight.

Jim will correct any errors that I list.

Rwy 09 - 27

Latitude 39.24300

Longitude -77.99100

IF you change to Aerial Map and turn off all others in Foreflight, you will be able to see the field. Landing on RWY 27, you will fly over an automobile race track.

Last edited:
Not on the sectional

Cedar Meadows is not on any charts.

1. Fly to Highview Farms (61VA). This one is kind of hard to find, but fly to the coordinates.
2. Note the race tracks.
3. Find the stripes (as noted in the picture)

It's very easy to find. If you still can't find it, climb to 2500 MSL and call on 122.9.
We'll guide you in.

Jim, I'm planning to attend with my son. We were there 2 years ago - then ordered an RV kit. Told my wife we plan to go again this year. She's afraid what ideas I'll come back with this time :).

Would you like us to bring anything?

Jim, I'm planning to attend with my son. We were there 2 years ago - then ordered an RV kit. Told my wife we plan to go again this year. She's afraid what ideas I'll come back with this time :).

Would you like us to bring anything?

Not necessary to bring anything to the event. Just show up.

Can / will you post a Goggle maps picture showing Cedar Meadows wile also showing Scott Airpark(VA61) & Grass Patch Airport? A heading with distance from VA61 would be helpful as well.

Looks like VA61 has multiple names?

Last edited:
Google Maps

mv6y46.png

Cedar Meadows is in the center of the picture. It is parallel to the RR tracks that you see just north of the runway. (The dotted line is the VA/WV state line) Locate Swimley Rd on the left. From "Rd" in Swimley Rd, follow the white driveway and you end up at the approach end of RW 21 at Highview. Less than a mile to the NE from Highview to Cedar Meadows.

Scott and Grass Patch are near Lovettsville and about 15 miles from Cedar Meadows. (NOTE: Scott is VA61 and should not be confused with 61VA Highview)

Last edited:
After following a magenta line to VA61, turn 267* for 17 NM to arrive at Cedar Meadows.

Study that picture above, it is really hard to miss Summit Point, and once you find that the runway is fairly easy.

Still bummed I will miss this year. :(

Should be on VAF Calendar

This would make a great addition to the VAF Calendar (link above) and you?ll get more publicity because Doug shows the Calendar on his VAF news page

61VA vs VA61

I couldn't figure out why the confusion between Highview (61VA) and Lovettsville (VA61) until I checked it out.

Can't understand why the FAA would permit this confusing situation.

Highview is 61VA
Lovettsville (also known as Scott) is VA61

You are looking for Highview (again 61VA). Cedar Meadows is about 1 mile NE of Highview.

Last edited:
Alright got the location pined down keeping fingers crossed for good weather & corporative wife. Since my 8 project is still in the project stage is it safe to assume a Maule would be welcome to roll out on your grass?

Welcome to all

The fly-in is open to ALL aircraft.

Weather looks like it will cooperate.

So the party is ON.

I'll be on site at about 9am.

It's definitely happening

Although there is some chance of thunderstorms mid afternoon, this event is "rain or shine".
Come have a nice BBQ lunch. You might have to leave a little earlier than planned, but it should work out.
We'll be watching the radar all day so you'll have plenty of notice if an early departure is necessary.

See you there.

Thanks, Jim, to you and your family for hosting an awesome fly in! The hospitality, the food, the show and the camaraderie were all great. Although you made it look easy, I know a lot of work went into this event. Very cool. Thank you. I wish I could have stayed longer and camped?..hopefully next year!

Thanks for hosting Jim! Sorry I had to run before you went up in your plane - minor emergency at home.
oEV.jpg

Looks like it was a great time had by all and a good turn out. I had an issue arise and couldn't make it I'll try harder next time not to let so much of life gets in the way of the reality important stuff ( flying, food & fellowship)
Thanks to folks who helped get me the location located even though I didn't get the chance to find it.

Thanks for hosting the fly in. My son and I had a great time. Sorry for heading out early but I just wasn't sure if those T-storms would show up on my way home to NJ or not .... .

Thx

Oliver

Back