- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Default BRS Chute Installation for RV10

For those interested in installing a BRS chute in their RV10, I have some good news. Several builders, including myself, have signed purchase agreements which has gotten the design and engineering phase started. Should see the first kits by the first of the year or before. I'll send updates as the process progresses.

Bruce McGlamery
Winter Springs, FL
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Interesting...any approximations on weight of the system?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:02 PM

Default BRS Chute for RV10

No. Too soon. They just got the aircraft into their CAD engineering software. Will be a couple of months before we see any details.

Bruce
Old 08-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Chute

Very interesting. I'll keep an eye on this one. It will be neat to know how this can be done using existing structures in the RV10. I can imagine the weight penalty will be substantial.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly
Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 AM

I'm interested as well if the weight and CG stays reasonable
2018 Dues Paid
Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Default I'm Interested

I'm interested too! My brother suggested I buy a used Cirrus instead of building the RV10 due to the 'chute. My empennage kit is ordered. Having the BRS chute would be a big plus!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Curious

I have always been curious as to the reasoning behind the chute. Not to start a primer war but here is a discussion question:

What would be a valid reason to pop the chute?

I'm curious to see what people would consider dire enough to use it...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 08-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I have always been curious as to the reasoning behind the chute. Not to start a primer war but here is a discussion question:

From the Cirrus Aircraft website on the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS):
Possible CAPS Deployment Situations

CAPS should be activated in the event of a life-threatening emergency where CAPS deployment is determined to be safer than continued fight and landing.

• Loss of Control - A loss of control is when the airplane does not respond as the pilot expects and may result from ight control or system failure, turbulence, disorientation, icing or pilot loss of situational awareness. If a loss of control occurs, CAPS should be activated immediately.

• Engine Failure Not Over a Runway – If a forced landing is required onto any surface other than a runway, CAPS activation is strongly recommended. If a forced landing over rough or mountainous terrain, over water, in fog, at night, or in low IMC conditions is required, CAPS activation is strongly recommended.

• Engine Failure Over a Runway - During engine failures within gliding distance of a runway, the pilot must continually evaluate the situation.
- At 2,000 ft AGL, if the landing is assured the pilot may continue to the runway. If not assured then activate CAPS.

- At 1,000 ft AGL, if the landing is still assured, the pilot may continue, recognizing that the risks associated with landing short, runway overrun or low altitude loss of control likely exceed those of a timely CAPS deployment. If the landing is not assured by at least 400 ft (561 ft G5) AGL the pilot should immediately activate CAPS.
• Pilot Incapacitation - Pilot incapacitation may occur from a wide variety of causes, ranging from a pilot’s medical condition to a bird strike that injures the pilot. If incapacitation occurs and the passengers are not trained to land the aircraft, CAPS activation is strongly recommended.

• Mid-Air Collision - A mid-air collision will likely render the airplane uncontrollable by damaging the control system or primary structure. Unless it is apparent that structural and control system damage has not occurred, CAPS activation is strongly recommended.

• Structural Failure - A structural failure has never occurred in a Cirrus aircraft. However, if a structural failure were to occur, CAPS activation is strongly recommended.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally, it was included because the Cirrus can't recover from a spin--the ability to recover is a certification requirement, so the FAA allowed the BRS as an alternate means of compliance.

Beyond that, I think it's the tool of last resort any time a pilot gets in over his head. The Cirrus is a very high-performance aircraft, and we all know what happens when you mix that with a pilot who can't stay proficient; think "fork-tailed doctor killer."
Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Default BRS Chute Installation for RV10

Quote:

Night, over mountains, lost engine with oil on the windscreen, and blue haze in the cabin......

Bruce