What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gascolator question

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hi all,

While troubleshooting my fuel system, I tried to take the bowl off my gascolator. I couldn't remove the bowl if the gascolator while it was attached to the firewall. It was very difficult and required using some compressed air to pressurize the bowl in order to remove it. What I found was that the O-ring is covered in a thin layer of very sticky residue. Is this normal? If not, what part do I order to replace the O-ring?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

Gascolator removal tool

Do a search for "gascolator removal tool" and you will find a tool and other suggestions that make removal much easier.

My gascolator bowl O-ring had the same very sticky stuff on it. I suspect that it is some form of Fuel Lube and is normal. It is a real bear to separate the bowl from the housing -- be patient and don't break anything! Van's sells replacement O-rings and filter screens for this gascolator.

Mine was tough to get off last annual. I used a light coat of lithium grease when I put the O-ring back on. I'll see if it helped in March at annual.

Thanks all for the suggestions and pointer to the removal tool. (Looks like a good addition to the collection of custom tools we tend to collect.) I cleaned off the sticky stuff and reinstalled it with DC4. I'll post if there are any further problems. Thx again,
-dbh

Back