What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Disconnect question

Dgamble

Well Known Member
This is the AP disconnect that came with a partially completed kit. It is a D-180 to Skyview conversion. We're not sure why there are silver pins on the black and white F78 and F79 wires; it looks like we can just lop them off and attach Molex pins - any reason why we shouldn't?

IMAG0540.jpg

When I was building I did not like the original Vans design that had no disconnect for these wires, which would make removing the center panel involve cutting and splicing them. So I made own disconnect just using male-female spade lugs. (This push button came with wiring harnesses outside of the avionics package. There was lots of time to kill while "waiting for Skyview!")

Then the Skyview subkit came out and incorporated the idea of a disconnect on these wires, with the parts for that. So I replaced my spade lugs with the new connector.

I think it is likely that the prior owner started down the roll-your-own disconnect path then stopped. Cut and replace!

Last edited:
First, get the appropriate wiring schematic from Van?s Aircraft. It will save you countless hours and frustration.

Second, those autopilot disconnect button extra long wires with pins on them were designed to be run up to the WH-RV12-Optional (25 pin connector), pins 9 and 12. I would suggest you go into the avionics bay and disconnect the WH-RV12 Optional from the WH-00026. Then check to make sure you have matching pins. If not, then you need to run those AP button long wires from the disconnect button to WH-RV12-Optional. That is probably clear as mud; but a little time studying the wiring schematic should help clear it up.

In the plans, you may want to reference pages 44A-05 and 42C-08. While all those instructions are great during the build, you get a better overall picture with the wiring schematic.

Have I said ?wiring schematic? enough times?

First, get the appropriate wiring schematic from Van?s Aircraft. It will save you countless hours and frustration.

Second, those autopilot disconnect button extra long wires with pins on them were designed to be run up to the WH-RV12-Optional (25 pin connector), pins 9 and 12. I would suggest you go into the avionics bay and disconnect the WH-RV12 Optional from the WH-00026. Then check to make sure you have matching pins. If not, then you need to run those AP button long wires from the disconnect button to WH-RV12-Optional. That is probably clear as mud; but a little time studying the wiring schematic should help clear it up.

In the plans, you may want to reference pages 44A-05 and 42C-08. While all those instructions are great during the build, you get a better overall picture with the wiring schematic.

Have I said ?wiring schematic? enough times?
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Back